Sprinter Tops Baker’s Performances at NAIA Meet
Baker University sprinter Kome Okiomah placed third in the 200-meter dash to lead the Wildcats at the NAIA national track and field meet in Edwardsville, Ill., in May.
Okiomah’s time in the 200 was 21.58. Other top 10 placers for the Baker men were Brian Korn, fourth in the hammer throw (190-2) and Aaron Hannon, 10th in the decathlon (6,007 points).
In the women’s meet, Chelsey Ornburn led the Wildcat entries with a fourth-place finish in the pole vault (11-11.75 inches). Other Baker results were Ashlee Miller, ninth in the high jump (5-5); Aubree Gustin, ninth in the javelin (136-7); and Stephanie Cowell, 12th in the 3,000-meter walk (18:37.77).
The following Baker athletes competed in the 2009 Outdoor National Championships:
- JL Anderson (freshman) 110 meter hurdles, 400 meter hurdles, 4 x 100 meter relay
- Tanner Gleason (sophomore) 4 x 100 meter relay, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Trevor Gleason (senior) 4 x 100 meter relay
- Aaron Hannon (junior) decathlon, 4 x 100 meter relay, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Brian Korn (junior) shot put, hammer throw
- Kome Okiomah (junior) 200 meter dash, 4 x 100 meter relay, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Nick Pannell (freshman) 4 x 100 meter relay, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Gary Van Horn (junior) 4 x 100 meter relay
- Regan Boyer (senior) 4 x 400 meter relay
- Stephanie Cowell (freshman) 3000 meter race walk
- Aubree Gustin (freshman) javelin throw
- Kelsey Heckathorne (Junior) 4 x 400 meter relay
- Jackie Koch (junior) hammer throw
- Ashlee Miller (junior) high jump, long jump, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Chelsey Ornburn (senior) pole vault, 4 x 400 meter relay
- Katey Wegemer (senior) 4 x 400 meter relay
Mack Brown Enters Senior Season With High Expectations
Entering his fourth season as Baker's starting quarterback, Mack Brown owns nearly all of the Wildcats' passing records, including yards in a game (433), season (3,185) and career (6,342). A transfer from the University of Colorado, Brown threw for 22 touchdowns with seven interceptions in 2008.
Wildcat assistant coach to be honored with courage award
Baldwin City, Kan. — Baker University assistant women’s basketball coach Richard Ebel (pictured) will be honored by the Kansas Basketball Coaches Association as the recipient of the Don Jones Memorial Coaches Courage Award for his recent battle with cancer.
7.31.09 | Men's Soccer
Men's Soccer wins season opener
Kome Okiomah (pictured) scored the lone goal in the WIldcats season opener at Morningside College on Sunday. Ten minutes into the second half Okiomah was set up by an assist from Luke Haidarovic, lifting the No. 12 Wildcats to their first victory of 2009.
Baker outshot the Mustangs 19-5 in the contest.
Baker goalkeeper Alex Burton made three saves in the contest to earn the shutout.
Wildcats ranked 9th nationally in preseason magazine
College Fanz NAIA preview magazine has ranked Baker University at No. 9 in the preseason along with being named one of the dark horses in the national title picture.
"If you eliminated the top five teams from the postseason, I would lean toward someone like Baker or Shorter winning the national title," stated magazine contributor Jason Dannelly.
7.31.09 | Women's Soccer
Alix Schiraldi leads the way as Baker wins 3-0
After falling in their first game of the season on Saturday, the 'Cats came out firing on Sunday against Morningside. Alix Schiraldi (pictured) continued her scoring streak netting two goals in the first half of Sunday's contest. Also chipping in on the scoring was first-team All-HAAC performer Christine Janssens.
9.2.09 | Volleyball
Baker takes HAAC opener at Avila University
The Baker Wildcats took the Heart of America Athletic Conference opener Wednesday evening at Avila University defeating the Eagles by a score of 3-0,(25-15,25-20,25-23). Junior Brooke Pryor (pictured) recorded 13 kills, while junior Christina Delladio chipped in with 12. Brooke Allen led Baker with 19 digs en route to the 'Cats first conference victory of 2009.
The Wildcats will travel to Chicago, Ill., this weekend where they will participate in a two-day tournament at St. Xavier University. Check back for full updates on this weekend's matches.