Baker University Residence Life & Housing Apartment Regulations
- The Horn and Markham residence facilities will be under supervision of two senior resident assistants and one area coordinator.
- The Baker University alcohol policy, as printed in the Baker Student Handbook and on the Student Affairs website will be strictly enforced.
- Gatherings in the Horn and Markham Apartments will not disturb others and will not include more than 16 people in an apartment at any time. Residents who are disturbed by noise will first contact the offender and ask them to reduce the noise. If this request is not heeded, an apartment senior resident assistant should be contacted. The SRA may issue warnings, but an incident report could be issued for noise and failure to comply.
- All personal property of the residents must be stored within the apartment. Personal property is not allowed on the balcony, stairwells or railings.
- Trash is to be placed in the trash dumpster.
- The fire escape is only for emergency use.
- All necessary furniture is provided in each apartment. Individuals are discouraged from bringing additional furniture, and no provided furnishings may be removed from the apartment.
- Cigarette smoking and smokeless tobacco are not permitted in any building on the Baker University campus nor within 20 feet of any building entrance. Smoking and using smokeless tobacco outdoors are permitted. Please discard tobacco in the appropriate container. Students will be documented if they fail to follow this policy.
- Periodic health/safety and maintenance checks will be conducted in the buildings. Apartments found insufficient will be documented. Failure to comply will result in a fine and/or professional cleaning at cost from the maintenance department.
- Barbecue grills may be used only in the commons area of the ground floor of the apartment complex. Grills may not be stored or used in an apartment.
- No halogen or quartz light bulbs or lamps, incense, candles or candle warmers are permitted in the apartments. Please see the student handbook for further information as to what not to bring to BU.
- Dartboards are not allowed.
- Bikes should be kept in the bike racks provided, not inside apartments or chained to railings.
- No tape, shelves, bookcases or furniture are to be attached to walls. Stick or push pins are not allowed.
- Please use poster putty to hang pictures or posters on walls. Fabric should not be hung on walls or ceilings.
- Toilet paper and light bulbs are furnished. Contact your senior resident assistant.
- Maintenance concerns should be submitted using the online maintenance work request. If your concern is not addressed within 48 hours, please contact your senior resident assistant.
- Senior resident assistants and Campus Safety can be a resource during emergencies. For emergencies, please call Campus Safety at 785.594.8430 (available 24/7). For medical emergencies, always call 911.
- Twenty-four-hour quiet time will be maintained during the week of finals. This will begin on stop day, the day before the first day of finals.
- Detailed checkouts will take place when an apartment or room is vacated. Residents will be held responsible for damage to their apartment and the furnishings within it. Fines will be charged for damage. Failure to vacate an apartment at the designated time at the conclusion of the school term will result in a charge of $50 per day or part thereof.
- Failure to abide by University policies or regulations will result in judicial documentation including, but not limited to, fines, retribution and possible removal.
Apartment Social Regulations
- Gatherings in the Horn and Markham Apartments will not disturb others and will not include more than 16 people in an apartment at any time.
- All social events involving alcohol within the apartment complex must be registered with the Office of Student Affairs. Any gathering within the apartment that involves alcohol and guests is considered a social event. Senior resident assistants will be advised when a social event has been registered.
- Failure to register a social event will result in a judicial documentation, sanctions and/or removal from the apartment complex.
- Please refer to the drug and alcohol policy and social regulations from the BU Handbook.