Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry
Small classes ensure that you will work closely with faculty, both in the classroom and laboratory. You will also get plenty of hands-on experience with the latest equipment.
Our chemistry majors, regardless of whether they pursue a career, grad school or med school after graduation, report that they feel better prepared for their next step than their peers from other schools.
The majority of our chemistry majors work with a faculty member on a research project, and some of our laboratory courses include student-designed projects.
Internships & Summer Research
- During January Interterm many students shadow a physician or professional chemist.
- The majority of our majors find full-time summer work in a chemical laboratory or in a research program at a major university.
Preparation for Med School
- A major in chemistry is a strong choice for students who plan to attend medical school.
- Of those who apply, Baker students are accepted into medical school at a 78% rate. The national average is 44%.
Preparation for Grad School
- Two recent Baker chemistry majors were offered KU's most prestigious scholarship, the Madison and Lila Self Graduate Fellowship.
- A recent graduate earned her Ph.D. from Vanderbilt University.
Preparation for a Career
Baker chemistry majors find employment in a variety of fields:
- Chief scientist at Oncimmune, which develops technology for early cancer detection
- Manager of quality assurance at Aptuit, a pharmaceutical services company
- Forensic chemist for the FBI
- Analysts in environmental chemistry and chemical synthesis