The Department of Humanities offers a major and minor in philosophy, as well as a joint major in both philosophy and religion. Students interested in the study of philosophy may also look into the following disciplines offered at Baker University’s Baldwin City undergraduate campus:
Major in Philosophy
Students who major in philosophy complete 27 semester hours in philosophy, 15 of which must be upper college. Philosophy majors earn the Bachelor of Arts degree.
The following courses are required:
- PH 120 Ethics
- PH 202 History of Western Political Thought II or PH 310 Social Justice
- PH 228 History of Ancient and Medieval Thought
- PH 311 Logic and Argumentation
- PH 320 History and Philosophy of Science or PH 322 History of Modern Philosophy
- PH 440 Contemporary Philosophy
- PH 495 Senior Project in Philosophy
Six hours from the following courses must also be completed:
- PH 201 History of Political Thought I
- PH 239 Philosophy of Religion
- PH 270 World Philosophies
- PH 350 Law and Morality
- PH 490 Seminar in Philosophy
Philosophy majors must also complete a 12-hour concentration selected from one discipline.
Combined Major in Philosophy & Religion
Students may choose to study philosophy and religion as a combined departmental major. The requirements for this combined departmental major are 30 semester hours (10 courses) of coursework in the department, including either PH 495 Senior Project in Philosophy or RE 450 Senior Project in Religion. At least 12 semester hours (four courses) must be taken in each subject, philosophy and religion. Close consultation with the student’s departmental advisor is required.
Minor in Philosophy
Students who wish to minor in philosophy must successfully complete 12 semester hours of course work, 3 of which must be at the upper-college level.
This program information has been taken from the College of Arts and Sciences catalog. This information is subject to change and is updated with each academic year.