Chemical Spills, Fumes, Vapors
Suspicion of or detection of toxic fumes or vapors or the spilling of a hazardous substance on the Baker University campus. Hazardous substances include chemicals, gasoline, oils, caustic products, and cleaning products.
- Evacuate the building or area. If a spill occurs in a building, all rooms affected by the spill must be evacuated. Do not use elevators. See Emergency Building Evacuation Plan for outside gathering locations.
- To avoid sparking of gases, do not pull fire alarm and do not touch switches or devices, including computers.
- Assist people with disabilities to the nearest stairwell in the building or the closest exit. If able, assist them in exiting the building and gathering in the appropriate outside location. If you are not able to help the people with disabilities exit the building, exit yourself and from a telephone outside the building notify Campus Safety, the police or fire department of their location.
- From a telephone outside of the affected building, contact the physical plant department to assess the situation by calling Campus Safety at 785.594.8430.
- If an emergency exists, call 911.
- If a spill occurs in any of the science department labs, contact the lab safety officer at 785.594.8326.
- Close off the contaminated area to prevent further contamination until the arrival of trained responders or emergency personnel.
- People who may be contaminated by a spill should do the following:
- Seek immediate medical attention by calling 911
- Avoid contact with others
- Alert trained responders or emergency personnel of injury
- Call Campus Safety immediately at 785.594.8430.
- Contact your supervisor or chairperson or the vice president of your area. The command center team will determine a further plan of action.
- If approached by the media, please refer them to the public relations director, 785.594.8330. Do not make other statements. Especially do not say “no comment.” It is okay to tell the media, “I do not have that information right now. Please give me your number and your call will be returned.”