Utility or After-Hours Building Emergency
Electrical power failure, mechanical failure, gas line break, water main or sewer break
- As soon as failure occurs, report the problem to the physical plant department.
- If it is an emergency, 24 hours a day, call Public Safety: 785.594.8430.
- For non-emergencies during normal working hours (8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) Monday through Friday, call 785.594.8415. If no answer, call 785.594.8430.
- Use a telephone away from the area to avoid continued exposure to danger. Only use a cell phone outside of the building.
- The issues following should be reported:
- All utility failures (electric, water, gas)
- An emergency related to building or facility problems, such as equipment failure or erratic operation of air conditioner, boiler, etc.
- If necessary, the physical plant department will contact local services, such as water department, gas service, electric company or fire department.
- If there is danger to a building or its occupants, call 911 immediately and call Campus Safety immediately at 785.594.8430.
- Contact your supervisor, chairperson or vice president. If a potential crisis emerges, the command center team will determine a plan of action.
- If approached by the media, please refer them to the public relations director, 785.594.8330. Do not make other statements. Especially do not say “no comment.” It is okay to tell the media, “I do not have that information right now. Please give me your number and your call will be returned.”