An uncontrollable flow of water in a campus area or building that could be the result of a flash flood or a water main break
- In all cases, evacuate the area of the flooding. Do not use elevators. See building evacuation locations page.
- Do not touch electrical switches or electrical devices, including computers, in the area of the flooding. Do not make phone calls, including cell phones, while standing in wet areas.
- In all circumstances, do not attempt to walk through the water, unless there is no other means to evacuate the area.
- If there are people injured or in need of rescue, call 911 immediately and state your location. Do not use a phone in the location of the flooding.
- Assist people with disabilities to the nearest stairwell or the closest exit. If able, assist them in exiting the building and gathering in the outside location. If you are not able to help the people with disabilities exit the building, exit yourself and notify security, the police or the fire department of their location.
- Contact the director of SPGS/GSOE operations, 913.344.6076, as soon as possible. Do not use a phone in the location of the flooding. If during normal work hours, 8 a.m.—4:30 p.m., Monday—Friday, call 913.491.4432 or ext. 1215 for the receptionist or call the director of SPGS/GSOE operations at 913.344.6076. If there is no answer or it is a time outside normal working hours, contact the appropriate property management company:
- Overland Park administrative offices: 816.842.9333
- Overland Park classroom building: 913.451.9000
- Lee’s Summit classroom building: 816.525.1016 or 816.678.6393
- Northland classroom building: 816.531.5303
- Topeka administrative offices: 785.633.2198
- Topeka classroom building: 785.633.2198
- Wichita administrative offices: 316.681.1711
- Wichita classroom building: 316.681.1711
- The Command Center Team will determine a further plan of action. Contact your supervisor, director, dean or vice president of your area.
- If approached by the media, please refer them to the public relations director, 785.594.8330. Do not make other statements. Especially do not say “no comment.” It is okay to tell the media, “I do not have that information right now. Please give me your number and your call will be returned."