The Milan-Harris Award for Promoting Diversity
Sponsored by the Delta Pi chapter of Phi Beta Delta
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world.” - Mahatma Gandhi
Retired Professor of Education Jesse Milan, a valued member of the Baker University faculty since 1969 and founder of Mungano, and former Assistant Professor of Spanish Emmanuel Harris, II, a Founding Member of the Delta Pi chapter of Phi Beta Delta and a member of the Baker faculty from 1998-2000, were both active facilitators for change at Baker and within its surrounding communities during their tenure here at Baker. Their actions promoted and enhanced the many dimensions of diversity within these communities. To honor these contributions, the Delta Pi chapter of Phi Beta Delta has established an award to recognize a current Baker University student who has followed in Professors Milan’s and Harris’ footsteps and actively promoted and enhanced the cultural, racial, ethnic, lifestyle and/or generational diversity at Baker and/or within its regional communities. The award includes a cash prize, the amount of which will be determined each year as funds allow (raised to $300 as of 2006).
Criteria for the selection of the award recipient
The award is given to a current Baker University student who:
Procedures for recipient selection
- has completed at least 45 hours at Baker; transfer students should have completed at least 30 hours at Baker.
- has a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75.
- can show evidence of participation in service activities that promote and enhance diversity within the Baker and/or its regional communities.
Past Award Recipients
- Each academic year, the Delta Pi chapter of Phi Beta Delta establishes a five-member committee (to be composed of Phi Beta Delta members), hereafter referred to as the Milan-Harris Award Selection Committee, to facilitate the selection of the award’s recipient. The award is conferred to its recipient at the end of each Spring semester (at the annual Honors Ceremony).
- Each Spring, the Milan-Harris Award Selection Committee solicits student applications from the Baker community. Each application should include an application letter that demonstrates the applicant's qualifications for the award as well as discusses the applicant's philosophy of diversity and what it means within the Baker community and its surroundings. Please limit the application letter to no more than 750 words. The letter should be typed and double-spaced.
- Each student application should also include authorization by the student to allow the Milan-Harris Award Selection Committee to verify the GPA and Baker hours completed for the applicant through the Office of Records and Registration.
- The award recipient is chosen by the Milan-Harris Award Selection Committee based on a careful evaluation of the submitted applications.
- 2000-2001: Mia Wright
- 2001-2002: Leah Watkins
- 2002-2003: Jawad Niazi
- 2003-2004: Patrick Lattin
- 2004-2005: Julia King
- 2005-2006: Tara White
- 2006-2007: Ashley Schmidt
- 2007-2008: Di-Tu Dissassa
- 2008-2009: Rachel Kilian
Back to Delta Pi Chapter Homepage
What is Phi Beta Delta?
Calendar of Events
Phi Beta Delta International Society Webpage