Music at Baker
An Integral Part of Baker University for More Than 150 Years
Baker offers two music degrees. Both are accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
Baker students participate in a variety of vocal and instrumental ensembles, workshops, recitals and tours. The highly anticipated Christmas Candlelight Vespers, held the first Sunday of December, has been performed for more than 80 years.
- Symphonic Band, Orchestra, Wildcat Athletic Band, Jazz Ensemble, Instrumental Ensembles
- Concert Choir, University Community Choir, Chamber Choir, Vocal Ensembles
- Junior and senior recitals, honor recital, musical theatre
- Regional, national, international tours
Music majors gain valuable teaching experience and prepare for careers.
- Teaching opportunities at the Baker Music Department Lab School, which offers weekly private lessons to area residents
- Internships at recording studios, churches and at hospitals as music therapists
Competitions & Tours
Baker musicians compete regionally and nationally. Large ensembles tour regionally every other year, and every three years the ensembles tour internationally. Recently, the Jazz Ensemble performed at Branson, Missouri, the Chamber Choir sang in California and various ensembles entertained audiences in England, Ireland and Italy.
Music Scholarship Audition Days
Baker offers scholarships to music majors and nonmajors for their participation in music ensembles and activities. Learn more about audition days.