Selecting and Reviewing Business Books
Finding a Book Review
Periodical indexes are a good way to locate book reviews that have been published in scores of business publications. Many are available in full text directly from the business databases.
Follow these steps to find a review in the following databases:
- ABI Inform/Complete [ProQuest]
- In the first box, type: your book title
- Change the field designation to: Document title-TI
- Scroll down the page, under Search Options, to Document Options. Check the box in front of Reviews.
- Business Source Premier
- In the first search box, type in your title.
- Scroll down until you see the area labeled, Limit Your Search
- In the Document Type box, select: Book Review.
- From the navigation column on the left, under News, select: All News
- By the Search For box, type: your book title
- Specify your date range
- By the Select Source Box, determine the type of publication you want to search. It can be Major World Publications, Newspapers, Magazines, Newswires, Broadcast Transcripts, Blogs, etc.
- By the Article Type box, check off the box in front of Book Reviews.
- H-Net Reviews
H-Net Reviews in the Humanities and Social Sciences is an online scholarly review resource. The computing heart of H-Net resides at MATRIX: The Center for Humane Arts, Letters, and Social Sciences Online, Michigan State University, but H-Net officers, editors and subscribers come from all over the globe.
From the navigation column on the left, select: Browse Reviews. From the List box, highlight H-Business to see reviews in Business.
- Squeezed Books.com Summaries are created by a small group of freelance writers who also have real-world business experience. Their task is to distill each book down into its essence so that readers can save time and get the key messages from a variety of popular management books. Books cover key themes like leadership, management, entrepreneurship, etc. The initial list was sourced from curated lists of the most popular business books as well as the Amazon bestseller list in the business category.
There are a number of Web Sites that offer subscriptions (translation: for a price) that summarize a wide range of business books. Some of these sites will tease you with little snippets of information to get you to sign up for their service. In any case, you can find titles of current business books with different levels of information.
Try the following sites:
- Audio-Tech Business Book Summaries
- Selected by the Wall Street Journal as the "top choice" for this kind of service. Includes brief descriptions and select audio clips of over 120 books since 1994.
- getAbstract bills itself as "The world's largest online library of business book summaries". Abstracts are 5-page summaries of the best Business Books. New titles are added every day. Choose between Adobe PDF and Palm Format. Immediate delivery via e-mail.
- Executive Book Summaries
- This company looks at hundreds of business books a year and selects the ones they consider to be the best. They provide 5,000-word, eight-page print summaries which they tout can be read in just 15 minutes, or you can listen to specially scripted audio summaries in about 20 minutes.
- Business Book Review.com
- Each BBR review is a six to eight page (3,000+ word) chapter-by-chapter summary and review, designed for effective on-line reading and formatted for printing or saving-to-file.