How to find Industry Information
News and Trade Publications
A source of current industry trends are trade publications such as industry magazines and newspapers, which are essential for developing a good industry analysis. Some trade journals publish what are known as “special issues”. These issues focus on a particular topic such as salary surveys, reviews and forecasts, lists of the top 100 of a category, etc. They traditionally appear during the same month every year and are often retained by subscribers for future reference.
In our library, there are two ways to locate trade publications in Lexis/Nexis:
- Lexis Nexis
Create a list of industry specific publications.
- From the navigation area on the left, under "General Searching", select: Sources
- When the blue tabs slide, select: Browse Sources
- From the Browse Sources area, fill in the radio button for:Industry
- You can drill through your industry of interest.
- Lexis Nexis
Get directly into the articles of industry specific publications.
- This link starts in the Power Search screen.
- In the Search terms box, type in your industry....i.e., aerospace industry
- In the Specify date box, highlight your date range.
- In the Select Source Box, By Type, highlight, All News (English)
- When the results appear, select: Industry Trade Press from the All Results column on the left.
- ABI/Inform Trade & Industry
Search more than 750 business periodicals and newsletters with a trade or industry focus. Provides users with the latest industry news, product and competitive information, marketing trends, and a wide variety of other topics. Contains publications on every major industry, including finance, insurance, transportation, construction, and many more. Coverage: 1971 - current.
- Business Insights Global
Indexes approximately 1000 business, management, and industry journals, while providing full text for about 460 titles.
- Business Source Premier
Covers approximately 1200 trade publications in full text.