Once you have been accepted to the nursing program, submit the following materials to the student affairs specialist at the School of Nursing before enrollment:
- Completed background check
- The following health requirements:
- Report of a physical examination
- Negative TB skin test within one year or a negative chest x-ray within the previous three years
- A positive rubella titer
- Documentation of Hepatitis B vaccination series
- Current Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) immunization
- Proof of Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for health care professionals ("Professional Rescuer" from the Red Cross or "Health Care Provider" from the American Heart Association). This proof must be resubmitted annually.
- Proof of health insurance. This proof must be resubmitted annually.
- Final prerequisite transcript
Enrollment will take place the week before school starts and is mandatory unless other arrangements have been made with the student affairs specialist. The student affairs specialist will enroll you in all your classes for the first semester.
The schedule for first-semester students will include theory classes on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and labs and clinicals on Thursday and Friday. If possible it is best not to work the first semester, especially during the first five weeks unless absolutely necessary. Plan to be at school from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. every weekday. The schedule does vary from day to day.
You may purchase your books and Baker shirts, sweatshirts and other items through the Baker Bookstore. The book list will be provided before enrollment and orientation. The cost of new books for the first semester is approximately $760. Additionally, you will purchase a software package of reference books for $225 from the School of Nursing. You will also need to purchase an iPod Touch, PDA or other device to download the software onto. If you already have a device, you will not need to purchase one.
National Student Nurses' Association
You will receive information about purchasing a stethoscope before orientation. Penlights and other needed items can be purchased from NSNA during orientation.
You will be informed about scrubs and lab coats during orientation.