Grants, Scholarships & Loans | BSN


Federal Pell Grants are based on FAFSA results. They are not available to students with a bachelor’s degree.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants are for students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.

Kansas Comprehensive Grants are available to full-time Kansas residents and are based on need. You must be enrolled in 12 hours per semester and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. They are not available to students with a bachelor’s degree. FAFSA must be completed annually by April 1.


Stormont-Vail Foundation Scholarships vary in amounts and are made possible through the generosity of individuals, trusts and foundations that support Baker’s nursing program. The scholarships are based on both academic standing and financial need, and are available to full-time students seeking a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. Students with a bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply.

Kansas Nursing Scholarships, administered by the Kansas State Board of Regents, pay students $3,500 per year and are jointly funded by the state and a medical provider. The student must meet criteria for the Kansas Nursing Scholarship and any criteria set forth by the medical provider. For each year the student receives the scholarship, he or she must provide one year of full-time employment to the medical provider that sponsors the scholarship. This is a particularly attractive scholarship for students who wish to work in Kansas following graduation. Eligible Baker University School of Nursing students starting the program in the fall semester may choose to take advantage of the Kansas Nursing Scholarship.

The Nancy Brower Hanni Scholarship recognizes a graduate’s dedication to the nursing profession. The recipient of the scholarship must be a senior student enrolled full time in the Baker University School of Nursing program, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Preference will be given to students interested in careers in adult or pediatric critical care, adult medical, telemetry or cardiology.

Murphy Trust Care of Elders Scholarship - Level III and Level IV students interested in caring for elders may apply for this unique opportunity. In addition to the scholarship award, recipients will be eligible to attend selected programs and conferences.

Heartland Works Tuition Assistance - In addition to applying for state, federal, and Stormont-Vail Foundation Scholarship aid, nursing students have the opportunity to apply for tuition assistance through the Kansas Workforce Center Offices. We do not know when these federal grant funds will cease, so you are encouraged to apply early for the upcoming academic year.


Federal Direct Stafford Loans fall into two categories: subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans are based on need and the federal government pays the interest while you are in school. Unsubsidized loans are not need-based, but you must pay the interest while you are in school or it will be added to the principal at repayment.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are not based on need, but a FAFSA form must be filed. The maximum your parent may borrow is cost of attendance minus any financial aid that you receive.