Financial Aid FAQ

1. I can only attend part time. Can I still get financial aid?

To be eligible for Stafford Loans and most Federal grants, a student must be registered at least half time. If a student is eligible for a Pell Grant, he or she may be eligible for a small portion of that grant even if enrolled less than half time.

2. Does Baker University offer financial assistance to students?

Baker offers three categories of financial aid: grants, loans and outside scholarships. Baker participates in the Title IV Federal Assistance program. Access financial aid forms.

3. What is financial aid and how is it determined?

Need-based financial aid is available to students who demonstrate a need for additional resources to help pay college costs. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed annually to determine eligibility for applicable financial aid programs.

Financial aid at Baker University is awarded based on a student's financial need. Simply put, financial need is the cost of education minus the expected family contribution. The cost of attending Baker University is listed in the "Educational Expenses" section in the pdfBaker Catalog and Student Handbook. The student's family contribution is derived from the financial figures as calculated on the FAFSA using a formula set by the Department of Education.

4. What are eligibility requirements for financial aid?

To be eligible, you must satisfy the following:

  • Be accepted for admission
  • Have a valid Social Security Number
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Certify compliance with Selective Service Registration requirements
  • Not be in default on any loan or owe a refund on any grant made under any Title IV program
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Be enrolled in an eligible academic program on at least a half-time basis
  • For most programs, demonstrate a financial need
  • Have a high school diploma or recognized equivalent

5. What types of financial assistance are available to graduate students

Graduate students are eligible to receive the following types of financial assistance:

  • Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans are awarded based on financial need. These loans carry a fixed interest rate, and interest is not charged before repayment begins or during periods of deferment. The federal government "subsidizes" the interest during these times.
  • Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are not awarded based on financial need. The interest rate is fixed; however, the interest accrues from the time the loan is fully disbursed until the time the loan is paid in full. Interest payments can be deferred while enrolled at least half time.
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loans: These non-need, credit-based, federally backed student loans are guaranteed by the U.S. Government. The Grad PLUS loan is similar to a private student loan, but with the benefit of a fixed interest rate and federal guarantee. Students must first apply for the Federal Stafford Loan. The Graduate PLUS Loan allows graduate students to borrow the total cost of their graduate education, less any other aid, and may be deferred while students are enrolled at least half-time.

6. How do I apply for financial aid?

Follow this process for applying for financial aid:

  1. Apply early. A minimum of four weeks is recommended to assure that financial aid eligibility can be determined before classes begin.
  2. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Please print off the confirmation page once completed. If you do not have a PIN, you will need to apply (or reapply) for one at The Baker University school code is 001903.
  3. Complete Baker's financial aid forms. Print and complete the pdfFinancial Aid Application and the pdfOnline Loan Entrance Counseling Form
  4. Mail the FAFSA confirmation page along with the Financial Aid Forms above to
    Financial Aid
    Baker University School of Professional and
    Graduate Studies
    8001 College Blvd., Ste. 100
    Overland Park, KS 66210
  5. If requested, be prepared to submit a signed photocopy of your most recent federal income tax return to Baker University.

Once the above completed forms have been received, a loan application consisting of the Loan Data Sheet and Master Promissory Note will be sent to you so you can apply for federal loans. All records are held in strict confidence. No file is available for public use.

7. When do I need to apply for aid?

After you have been accepted for admission and have completed a Free Application for Federal Aid (FAFSA), you may apply for financial aid. Find information about applying for Financial Aid at Baker University.

8. Will scholarship and other resources affect my financial aid award?

Scholarships and other resources that help students with their educational expenses are used to calculate eligibility for federal aid. Common types of resources are scholarships, veteran's benefits, employer tuition reimbursements, vocational rehabilitation awards and so on. The demonstrated financial need (as determined through a processed FAFSA) to meet education costs is reduced as a result of these scholarships and other resources. They do not replace the expected family contribution (EFC) per federal regulation.

Upon receipt of scholarships and other resources, the amount of federal aid award (with the exception of the Pell Grant) may be reduced or canceled if the Financial Aid Office did not have knowledge of the scholarship or resource at the time of the initial award.

9. Is Baker University approved for Veterans Administration (VA) education benefits?

Yes. Any veteran who wishes to apply for VA benefits should contact the Baker University This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. The Certifying Official can provide application forms, VA points of contact and details about the application process. VA students should notify the Certifying Official of changes to their course schedules because a reduction in course load may result in a reduction of benefits. If reductions are not promptly reported, the veteran may accrue indebtedness to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

You may choose to send your Veterans Affairs Benefits application directly to Baker University School of Professional and Graduate Studies, or send your application directly to Veterans Affairs. Veterans Affairs processing takes 60 to 90 days; the student is responsible for tuition payments to the University. Veterans Affairs checks are sent directly to the student.

10. How will I be notified after I have completed my FAFSA or if the FAFSA needs corrections?

Students who provide a valid email address on their FAFSA will be sent an email by the federal processor that contains a secure link to their Student Aid Report (SAR) information on the Web. Students can see all of their application processing results, including their Expected Family Contribution (EFC), database match results, and all SAR comments associated with the transaction. Students can access their SAR information on the Web an unlimited number of times. Students who do not provide an email address will be mailed a paper SAR within 10 days of submitting the FAFSA.

11. Do I have to complete a new FAFSA application every year?

You must complete a FAFSA application each year if you wish to receive financial aid. After the first year of completing a FAFSA, you may submit a Renewal Application. You are asked to update key elements for each year you wish to apply for aid. Your initial application will generate a PIN number that will allow you to update your information on the Internet.

12. Why do I need a federal PIN to complete the FAFSA?

The U.S. Department of Education issues PINs to FAFSA filers to allow students greater access to the department's systems. Your PIN can be used as an electronic signature when signing your FAFSA on the Internet or correcting your Student Aid Report via the Internet. It allows you access to the Renewal FAFSA on the Internet, as well as your records on the National Student Loan Data System, and can be used to electronically sign your Master Promissory Note for federal loans. PINs will be mailed to all applicants who have signed their FAFSA and successfully matched the Social Security Administration database. To expedite processing of FAFSA applications, the student should obtain a PIN at

13. I will be getting married soon; how should I fill out my FAFSA?

The FAFSA requires that students indicate their current marital status as of the date the FAFSA is completed. If a student is not married as of the date the FAFSA is filed, the student must file as single. Once an application has been submitted the marital status cannot be changed.

14. What does it mean if my file has been selected for "verification"?

Because students sometimes make significant errors when reporting application information, the federal government has incorporated a verification process as part of the student financial aid program requirements. The University is required to verify that the information submitted by the student is accurate and to make any necessary corrections before proceeding further with the application.

If you are selected for verification, the University will ask for a copy of relevant tax forms and for the completion of a verification worksheet, which will provide additional corroborating information (such as names and ages of family members and non-taxable income items). Any required signatures, such as signatures on worksheets or on copies of tax returns, must be collected at the time of verification. Once the University completes the verification process and makes any necessary corrections, the aid application can be advanced, aid eligibility determined, and an award made to the student.

15. How do I apply for a Federal Pell Grant?

If you are an undergraduate student, you can apply for a Federal Pell Grant. When you complete the FAFSA, you are applying for funding from the Federal Pell Grant program and submitting information to determine your eligibility for other federal grant and loan programs. Generally, a grant is money you do not have to repay.

16. How will my Veteran's Benefits affect my aid?

Veteran's benefits are considered a resource, and need to be taken into consideration when other forms of aid are received. Cost of attendance, less your EFC, equals your financial need. Veteran's benefits plus any aid offered, including grants and loans, may not exceed your financial need.

17. What happens if I get more financial aid than my tuition costs?

When calculating your financial need, the formula takes into consideration tuition, fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation and personal miscellaneous expenses. Once your tuition, books and fees are paid, excess funds will be mailed to you. These funds are available for your other educational expenses.

18. If I withdraw from a class, will my financial aid be affected?

Yes, changing your enrollment status will affect your financial aid. Current federal regulations require the Return of Title IV Funds Policy to be used for all students who receive any type of federal aid, when calculating the aid a student can retain after withdrawing. This policy relates to Federal Pell and SEOG Grants, as well as all federal loans. Ask a This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for additional information.

19. Can I lose my eligibility for financial aid because of low GPA or too few credits?

Failing a course will affect aid eligibility and delay future disbursements. Students are expected to complete (get a passing grade) a minimum number of credits each year and to maintain a minimum grade point average to be eligible for aid. Additional information on Satisfactory Academic Progress and Financial Aid can be found in the pdfSPGS Catalog and Student Handbook.

20. When will I repay my federal student loans?

In most cases, repayment of student loans begins six months after graduation, withdrawal from school, or dropping below half-time status.