Academic Advising FAQ
1. How will I be advised about coursework?
2. When will I receive my student ID and library number?
Each student will receive an email containing their student ID/library number. The email will be sent to the email addresses on the student's record before you start classes. This library number is used to access the online Collins Library resources. Please save this email for future reference and/or print out a copy for your records.
3. If I prefer a student ID and library card, how do I request it?
You may request a hard copy student ID/library card using this Student ID Request form and adding the comment "hard copy request" in the comments/questions section.
4. How will I access the Collins Library?
The student ID/library number and PIN information received in an email is required for accessing the Baker University Collins Library electronic resources.
5. What kinds of academic resources does Baker offer me as an online student?
- Online Collins Library
Library resources such as full-text databases and subscription search services are available 24 hours a day at Baker University's Collins Library. To access the subscription services you will use the Collins Library number that is included on your student identification card.
- Online Collins Library Tutorial
Students can access an Online Collins Library Tutorial 484.01 Kb for assistance using the library services.
- Librarian Assistance
If you are unable to find the answer to your question, you may complete the Ask a Librarian request form.
- Business Subject Guides
- Writing Assistance
Baker provides online writing assistance for students. Students can receive feedback on writing questions within 24 hours during the workweek.
6. What resources are available to help me understand policies and procedures?
All Baker University policies and procedures are described in the SPGS Catalog and Student Handbook.
7. What is the student portal?
The student portal is a secure system for accessing your student information. The following information and services are available through the student portal:
- Accessing grades
- Student schedule information
- Instructor information
- External links to frequently used items and sites
- Course attendance records
- GPA calculator
- Making changes to personal information records
- Access to alerts and appointments
- Anti-virus software for downloading
- Access to unofficial transcripts
8. How do students provide feedback to Baker?
Baker University has multiple opportunities for students to provide feedback on their educational experiences. Every student may complete an end-of-course survey after each class. An electronic link is provided with each online course shell to complete the survey. Students also complete an end-of-program survey in the last course of their program. Online students receive an electronic link to this survey within the course shell as well as an email reminder about the survey.
9. How do learning teams function for business students?
All business and management students within the School of Professional and Graduate Studies are required to complete assignments and interact with learning teams for the duration of the program. Learning teams work together weekly on reports, projects,and presentations and support one another in the process. Students in online courses use electronic meetings and have a reserved space within the course for accomplishing team work. Team members should plan for at least four hours weekly for learning team involvement. All team members are expected to contribute equally to the completion of all team assignments and activities.
10. What should I do if I have a concern about a learning team member?
11. What should I do if I have a concern about my instructor?
12. What is a class representative?
Each cohort group of students in a business program elects a class representative at the beginning of the program. This individual acts as a communication liaison between the students in the cohort group and Baker University administration. Baker University communicates with students in each cohort group through the class representative. See the SPGS Catalog and Student Handbook for additional information.
13. Does Baker University provide online accommodations for students with disabilities?