Restricted Licensure FAQ

Click the question to see the answer.

How long is the program?

Coursework takes two years to complete. During this time, you will teach in a Kansas school district.

Can I double up my courses and finish the program sooner?

No. The courses are designed to be completed in the two-year time frame and must be completed in order as scheduled.

Are the courses available online?

Twenty-one of the 27 hours are taught online. The first two-hour course is taught at our Overland Park campus before the start of the school year. This on-ground course is scheduled for one week during the day.

Can I start the program any time?

No. The program starts once a year just before the start of the school year for the secondary level.

Will I be paid while I am teaching in the program?

Yes. You will be paid by the school district where you are teaching and are entitled to any benefits associated with the position.

Do I have to locate a teaching position before I can apply to the program?

No. You need to be accepted into the restricted licensure program before locating a teaching position because the school district must have proof of acceptance before they can hire you.

How do I obtain my teaching license?

Once you have secured a teaching position, you will apply for a restricted license with the Kansas State Department of Education.

Can I teach in other states besides Kansas with my license?

The restricted license only allows you to teach in Kansas. After completing the program, you will apply for an initial teaching license, which may be taken to other states as long as the state recognizes the Kansas license.

Can I work on my master's degree while I am in the program?

No. You must complete the restricted licensure program before applying to the master's program.

Is financial aid available?

Yes, for some semesters. The restricted licensure program is eligible for financial aid for the semesters in which you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.

Is there flexibility in the minimum GPA required?

No. The state requires a 2.75 GPA in the last 60 hours of coursework.

What if I want to teach in an area different from my bachelor's degree area?

To teach in a specific content area, you must have completed the required number of hours from that area as determined by the transcript evaluation.

Can my work experience replace any coursework deficiencies?

No. Work experience is not considered when applying for the program. 

Does Baker University assist in locating a teaching position?

No. It is your responsibility to locate the teaching position.

How can I find available teaching positions?

You can check the Kansas Department of Education website and also school district websites.

Where can I mail my transcript(s)?

Baker University
Attn.: Restricted Licensure
7301 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS  66210

Can I fax or email my transcripts?

No. Official transcripts should be mailed to the street address listed above.