CLEP & DSST FAQ
What are CLEP and DSST exams?
The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the Defense Activity for Non Traditional Education Support (DANTES) Subject Standardized Tests (DSST) are nationally recognized testing programs that give you the opportunity to receive college credit for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom. These programs make it easier for you to complete your degree program more quickly and at a reduced cost. We offer both CLEP and DSST examinations in our Overland Park and Topeka locations and both are administered on computer. DSST exams are also administered on computer at our Wichita campus.
You must preregister for all exams.
How do I register?
All Baker University students are required to speak with Student Services before registering for an exam. This prevents duplication of credit that you may have previously been awarded. Not all of the exams offered by CLEP and DSST are eligible for credit through Baker University. These exams are accepted by the University:
CLEP Exams | DSST Exams
Once you have determined which exam you wish to take, review the appropriate testing center schedule.
Each location only tests on the dates and times listed on the schedule. When you have selected a date and time, you can register online:
CLEP Registration Form | DSST Registration Form
You must pay the test center fee when you register. You will receive an email confirmation if your registration was received and processed. Seating is limited in the testing center, so if you have requested a date that is already booked to capacity, you will be asked to select an alternate date and time.
Seating is limited in the testing center. You are encouraged to register at least three weeks ahead of your preferred testing date.
How can I learn more about CLEP and DSST exams?
Each program offers information online about examinations. You can find more information at the following links:
How do I prepare for an exam?
Baker University does not offer study materials for CLEP and DSST exams. It is the sole responsibility of the student to obtain study preparation materials. You can find suggestions for textbooks and study guides at both the CLEP and DSST websites. Baker University does not endorse either website and is not affiliated in any capacity with either program other than as a third party exam administrator.
How much does an exam cost?
Fees associated with CLEP and DSST examinations include:
- Test center fee: $20 per exam (must accompany your registration)
- CLEP exam fee: $80 per exam (payable on the day of the exam) CLEP fees may be paid by personal check, money order or by JCB, MasterCard, American Express, Discover or Visa credit cards.
- DSST exam fee: $80 per exam (payable on the day of the exam) DANTES does NOT accept personal checks or money orders for fee payments. Fees may be paid by MasterCard, American Express, or VISA credit cards. If you are a DANTES-funded military member or eligible spouse, you may be eligible for fee waiver through the Department of Defense. Contact us for details:
- Baker University cannot accept cash for fee payments.
- If you are a DANTES-funded military service member or eligible spouse, the fees are waived. DANTES-funded students will be responsible for paying for the test center fee at the Overland park and Wichita locations.
- Baker University students will be required to pay a verification and documentation fee of $10 per credit hour to get credits posted to their transcript, granted the exam was passed.
- For Baker University students only, all credits earned through the CLEP/DSST examination process will be posted to the student’s transcript when the PLA office has received the official score reports. All fees associated with these credits will be due within 30 days of invoicing. If CLEP/DSST fees are not paid within 30 days, the student’s account will be placed on financial hold, which will prevent access to grades and transcript information. Once the fees have been posted, the student’s account will be adjusted accordingly.
How do I reschedule an exam?
If you know that you are not ready to take an exam or need to reschedule due to illness or work conflicts, you must notify us at least 24 hours in advance of your scheduled exam. If you do not contact us and you miss an exam, you will forfeit the original testing center fee. We are required to collect an additional testing center fee before we can reschedule your exam.
How and when are my results reported?
Unofficial score reports are available for all computer-based exams, except for Public Speaking and College Composition, at the end of the testing session. The official score report is sent to the school in approximately two to three weeks.
May I retake an exam?
If you do not achieve the minimum score needed to award credit, you may retake the same exam after 180 days. This waiting period is a policy of both CLEP and DSST and cannot be waived under any circumstances.