It might have been a while since you wrote your last a college paper, or maybe you have never written one. Use the resources here to help you write an effective academic essay.
Suggested Writing Resources
A Writer’s Reference by Diana Hacker & Nancy Sommers is an excellent writing resource. Keep it handy throughout your program for answers to writing questions.
Baker’s MLA Style Guide provides everything you need to know about using MLA style at Baker University.
The Purdue University Online Writing Laboratory (OWL) is another superb source for writing assistance.
Handy links is a collection of online resources for writing an academic essay.
Baker Writers | Individual Writing Assistance
Baker Writers is a writing-development resource available to all undergraduate students at Baker’s School of Professional and Graduate Studies.
- If you want a paper reviewed, attach it to the email as a Word document.
What are the rules for submitting work?
- Baker Writers requires a minimum of 36 hours to respond to student requests, and papers are reviewed in the order received. Please plan ahead. Leave yourself enough time to receive and consider feedback and to revise your paper. Because of the nature of giving feedback and time required, Baker Writers will review a paper only once.
- Provide detailed assignment guidelines in order to receive feedback. Because good writing and good feedback are contextual, it is crucial that we know the parameters and goals of the writing assignment. Submissions that do not include an assignment description will be returned for more information. This delays the process, so please make sure to include this information the first time around.
- Before submitting your work for review, decide what area(s) of your writing you would like advice on (e.g., thesis statement, organization of a particular section, commas). The more information you provide us, the better we are able to help you.
- Your paper should use MLA format. If you have specific questions about MLA, we are happy to help.
- Proofread your paper before submitting it for review and make sure it is as close to a final copy as possible.
What kind of feedback can I expect? (click for answer)
Although we are happy to help you identify and correct errors in your writing, Baker Writers is not a proofreading service. Our goal is to highlight problem areas and provide you with the guidance and resources needed to prevent those problems in the future.
When you submit an essay for review, you will receive specific feedback, explanation of applicable grammar and punctuation rules, and referral to sources that will help you correct and improve your current and future papers.