Residence Life FAQs

Do I have to live on campus?

Yes, all full-time College of Arts and Sciences students must live in campus residence halls or fraternity or sorority chapter houses.

How are roommates assigned?

Student Affairs staff are responsible for all room assignments. Students complete the online housing form, which includes categories that allow Student Affairs to match students. Also, students may request roommates on the online housing form. Both individuals must mutually request each other for the roommate preference to be considered.

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Housing assignments will be emailed out for the fall semester beginning in early July through the middle of August. Spring semester assignments are made in early January. It is possible that your housing assignment may be updated, in which case you will receive a message through your Baker email indicating your new room and/or roommates.

What meal plans are available?

Dining Services provides 19 meals each week (three per day Monday through Friday and two a day Saturday and Sunday). View meal-plan pricing.

All students living in residence halls (with the exception of Horn and Markham Apartments) are required to take one of the following plans:

  • 19-meal plan (19 meals/week + $25 in declining balance/semester)
  • 14-meal plan (14 meals/week + $200 in declining balance/semester + 10 flex meals/semester)
  • 12-meal plan (12 meals/week + $75 in declining balance/semester + 10 flex meals/semester)
  • Horn and Markham residents and off-campus students may choose the commuter meal plan (3 meals/week + $145 in declining balance/semester)

The plans are optional for all students not living in residence halls. A declining balance may be added to student accounts and used for any of the dining options on campus.

How do I know which hall I will be assigned?

While we do our best to honor each request, you may or may not receive your first choice of housing. Housing placements are based on enrollment deposit dates and returning-student deadlines.

Many freshman women reside in Irwin Hall, and many freshman men reside in Gessner Hall. The New Living Center can house freshmen as well as upperclassmen. Upperclassmen may also be assigned to Gessner or Irwin as space mandates.

The Horn and Markham Apartments are processed in the spring semester for the following academic year. An application process is used to make this upperclassmen assignment. For more information contact the student affairs coordinator.

What should I bring?

View a list of items to bring (and those to leave at home). 

Residency Requirement Exemptions

Baker University's housing policy requires all full-time students on the Baldwin City campus to live in campus housing or in Greek chapter houses. Exceptions to this policy will be considered under the following conditions:

  • Living with parent or guardian
  • Significant financial need
  • Transfer student who has lived off campus previously, bringing at least 63 completed credit hours
  • Married (or will be before the end of the semester for which the exemption is requested)
  • Documented medical disability that requires off-campus accommodations
  • Fifth-year student, having completed eight semesters (or the equivalent) of full-time enrollment following high school graduation
  • 23 years of age or older (or will be before the end of the semester for which the exemption is requested)
  • Another reason not listed

All information regarding the university’s residency requirement, possible exemptions, application process and required documentation can be found at and should be read carefully.

Students wishing to be considered for a residency requirement exemption should submit an online application and all supporting documentation by the deadlines stated at Application does not guarantee approval. Students not officially approved to live off campus will be charged for housing and a full meal plan according to the university’s housing policy.