FAQ | Study Abroad
Why study abroad?
Studying abroad . . .
- Deepens understanding of yourself and the world.
- Fuses education with adventure.
- Fosters international contacts and lifelong friendship.
- Builds confidence and independence.
- May include internships and service learning.
- Enhances resourcefulness and adaptability, the two skills most desired by employers.
- Increases career options and professional marketability.
Will I earn credit? Will it count toward my degree?
Yes. All credits transfer. Strategic planning ensures no lost time.
Can I afford it?
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
- Most Baker University financial awards and scholarships can be applied to study abroad for one full semester.
- Most federal, state and private scholarships, grants and loans apply.
- Most program providers offer specific study abroad scholarship opportunities.
Where will I live while I study abroad?
- Home stays with host country families
- Student housing
- Off-campus living
What are my options for experiences abroad?
- Semester abroad programs
- Academic year abroad
- Summer study abroad
- Travel Interterms
- Internships abroad
- International service learning options
Do I have to speak an international language to study abroad?
No. Many study abroad programs are offered in English-speaking nations. In addition, many programs feature courses taught in English in non-English-speaking nations. If you don't speak a foreign language or feel you are not ready for full immersion, many programs exist for study of language at all levels. Study abroad is a perfect time to start.