Back to Online Home

TEXTBOOKS & MATERIALS | Accessing & purchasing textbooks & course materials


How do I access textbook and course material information?

Your textbook and materials information can be found in your student portal. Additionally, the syllabus will be available in the Moodle shell of your section two weeks before the start date of the course. As always, the textbooks and materials can also be found on the Baker Bookstore website.

Using Your Baker Portal

  • Log into your Baker student portal account.
  • Click on Academics.
  • Select Your Class Schedule.
  • Select the correct term and year from the drop-down list (e.g., Fall 2010, Spring 2011)
  • Click View by LIST (on the right-hand side).
    • Find the course you need books for and select Click for Details.
  • Under Textbook Requirements, you will find a list of textbooks and materials required for each course, including the International Standard Book Number (ISBN).

Using Your Baker Bookstore

  • Access the bookstore website.
  • Click on Books.
  • Click on Textbook and Course Materials.
    • Select your term: The courses are listed by the month your course begins.
    • Select the course department code: Examples are MBA, MAOL, BBA, MGE, EDU, DED, BU, SPED.
    • Select your course number of the course you are enrolled in.
    • Select your section if prompted.
    • Click Submit.
What program am I in?

To identify the program in which you are enrolled, access the student portal. Select the My Profile tab and click on the My Information link. Below you will find a listing of programs of study by school within Baker University and the department designation associated with the bookstore’s website.

School of Education (SOE) Program of Study

Department (listed on bookstore website)

  • Master of Arts in Education (MAEd)
GLAE Open Enrollment (I enroll online)
  • Master of Science in School Leadership (MSSL)
GLAE Open Enrollment (I enroll online)
  • Building-Level Licensure Only (BL)
GLAE Open Enrollment (I enroll online)
  • Restricted Licensure (RL)
Restricted Licensure
  • Master of Science in Teaching (MST)
GLAE Open Enrollment (I enroll online)
  • Master of Science in Special Education (MSSE)
  • Doctor of Education¬† in Educational Leadership (EdD)
  • Continuing Education for Educators (CE)
Continuing Education

School of Professional & Graduate Studies (SPGS)Program of Study

Department (listed on bookstore website)

  • Associate of Arts in Business (BAC/AAB)
  • Bachelor of Arts in Business (BBA)
  • Bachelor of Science in Business (BSM)
  • Bachelor of Business Leadership (BBL)
  • Master of Liberal Arts (MLA)
GLAE Open Enrollment (I enroll online)
  • Concentration Courses
  • Elective Courses
Where can I purchase books?

A full-service bookstore, operated by Follett Higher Education Group, is located in Baldwin City, Kan. You may purchase textbooks, materials and other Baker merchandise at this location, by phone or online.

Long Student Center
615 Dearborn and Seventh Street, Baldwin City, KS 66006-0065
785.594.8315 | website |

Students are responsible for purchasing the correct textbooks and materials. If students choose to purchase textbooks or materials from an outside vendor or website, students assume responsibility for any delay, interrupted delivery, or nonreceipt of textbooks. Baker University commits to providing the ISBN for required textbooks to students via MyBaker Portal, and students are responsible for retrieving the necessary book information in order to purchase textbooks for class. Baker University reserves the right to cancel courses or make revisions as necessary, including book information and course materials, without incurring obligation.

Can I use financial aid to pay for my books?

Yes, you can, if you have financial aid funds above the cost of tuition and fees. Be prepared to pay out of pocket for books for your first two courses. For students who have all their financial aid paperwork turned in, the overage funds will be received 10 to 14 days after the funds have been applied to your account.

My instructor said I need to purchase the premium content or simulation in addition to the textbook for the course. How do I do that?

Ask your instructor if he or she has the website link to purchase the premium content or simulation from the publisher. Log onto the website and use your credit card to make the purchase.

What do I do if I purchased the wrong edition of a textbook?

If you purchased your textbook from the Baker Bookstore you can return it to the bookstore. Please make sure you have your receipt when you contact or visit the bookstore.

How do I return textbooks?

The Baker Bookstore will accept textbooks for return if they were purchased from the bookstore and you have the original receipt.

My course was canceled. What should I do with the books I purchased?

If you purchased your textbooks from the Baker Bookstore, you may return them if you have the original receipt.

Who should I talk to if I have a concern about textbooks?

Contact the Help Desk and your request for assistance will be addressed within 48 business hours.

What is an ISBN?

An ISBN is a unique identifier assigned to every textbook. The 13-digit code typically begins with “978” and is located on the back of the textbook near the bar code.

What is the difference between an international edition of a textbook and the edition of a textbook listed on the website?

The international version of a textbook is similar, although there are differences that you should be aware of. The lower price is usually what is noted first; however, this is due in part because the overall quality of the book can be inferior to the U.S. edition and supplemental sources are not typically included with the international edition.

Pin It on Pinterest