Monday — Friday
8 a.m. – Noon , 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
The archives and the museum will be closed the following days: Good Friday through Easter, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day weekend, Father’s Day, Independence Day and the weekend closest to the holiday, Labor Day weekend, the Wednesday before through the Sunday following Thanksgiving, and December 23 through January 2.
The archival and special collections housed in the Collins Library serves the needs of researchers, and scholars at the University, in the United Methodist Church and interested members of the public.
- Baker University Archives holds records and documentation of academic, social and administrative activities of the University, and its faculty, staff, students, and alumni
- Kansas United Methodist Archives houses the records of United Methodism and its predecessors in Kansas
- Special collections include materials related to territorial and early Kansas history and many 18th and 19th century Protestant hymnals.
The Baker University Archives promotes the university’s mission and values of lifelong learning, critical thinking, and contribution to society by preserving and supporting access to materials that document Baker’s unique place in local, state, and national history.
Visitor Research Guidelines
- Please notify the archives at least 24 hours in advance of your visit.
- Materials will be brought to the researcher in the Archives reading room.
- Materials may not leave the room.
- Brief cases, backpacks and portfolios must be left in the Archives coat rack.
- Only pencils or laptops may be used to take notes. Absolutely no marks may be made on Archives material.
- A scanner is available in the Archives Reading Room
- It is up to the discretion of the Archives staff to decide what may safely be reproduced.
- Materials must be handled with care. You may be provided with cotton gloves when handling certain items.
If your research will result in a publication:
- Use the proper citation giving credit to the Archives.
- Receive permission to publish for each image used from the collection.
- Obtain all necessary copyright permissions from the copyright holder.
- Deposit a copy of the publication with the Archives.
Methodist Research Links
Annual Conference Journal Memoirs Index
Index to obituaries in Conference Journals. For the full text of memoirs appearing in Kansas Conference Journals contact the archivist at Baker. For all other Conferences, follow the instructions on the web page.
200 Years of United Methodism: An Illustrated History
A short general history of Methodism in America