Seven nursing students listening to their professor in a classroom

Bachelor of Science in Nursing

Financial Aid & Scholarships

head shot

Jana Parks

Director of Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

Students who wish to be considered for financial aid are required to fill out two forms: the Baker University Application for Scholarship and Financial Aid and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Three types of aid are available to those who qualify: grants, scholarships, and loans. Grants and scholarships do not need to be repaid. Student loans are repaid after graduation.

Follow these steps:

  1. Submit an Application for Admission and Financial Aid.
  2. Complete the FAFSA.
Nursing student taking vitals of dental patient


Federal Pell Grants are based on FAFSA results. They are not available to students with a bachelor’s degree.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grants are for students who are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant.

Kansas Comprehensive Grants are available to full-time Kansas residents and are based on need. You must be enrolled in 12 hours per semester and maintain a 2.0 grade point average. They are not available to students with a bachelor’s degree. FAFSA must be completed annually by April 1.


Kansas Nursing Scholarships, administered by the Kansas State Board of Regents, pay students $3,500 per year and are jointly funded by the state and a medical provider. The student must meet the criteria for the Kansas Nursing Scholarship and any criteria set forth by the medical provider. For each year the student receives the scholarship, he or she must provide one year of full-time employment to the medical provider that sponsors the scholarship. This is a particularly attractive scholarship for students who wish to work in Kansas following graduation. Eligible Baker University School of Nursing students starting the program in the fall semester may choose to take advantage of the Kansas Nursing Scholarship.

The Nancy Brower Hanni Scholarship recognizes a graduate’s dedication to the nursing profession. The recipient of the scholarship must be a senior student enrolled full time in the Baker University School of Nursing program, with a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0. Preference will be given to students interested in careers in adult or pediatric critical care, adult medical, telemetry, or cardiology.

Murphy Trust Care of Elders Scholarship – Level III and Level IV students interested in caring for elders may apply for this unique opportunity. In addition to the scholarship award, recipients will be eligible to attend selected programs and conferences.

Outside Scholarships – Baker’s quarterly Outside Scholarship Newsletter lists many scholarship opportunities.

Heartland Works Tuition Assistance – In addition to applying for state, federal, and Stormont-Vail Foundation Scholarship aid, nursing students residing in Atchison, Brown, Doniphan, Douglas, Franklin, Jackson, Jefferson, Nemaha, Osage, Pottawatomie, Riley, Shawnee or Wabaunseehave county have the opportunity to apply for tuition assistance through the Kansas Workforce Center Offices. We do not know when these federal grant funds will cease, so you are encouraged to apply early for the upcoming academic year. The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required for this program. Assistance may vary from student to student, and funds are limited. It is possible to receive assistance for tuition and fees, NCLEX fee, and reimbursement for background check, fingerprinting, travel, and child care. Please contact Cherish Calovich at for your local Kansas Workforce Center Information.


Federal Direct Stafford Loans fall into two categories: fall into two categories: subsidized and unsubsidized. Subsidized loans are based on need and the federal government pays the interest while you are in school. Unsubsidized loans are not based on need, and the federal government does not pay the interest while you’re in school.  You have the option of paying the interest while you’re in school or having it added to the principle when you go into repayment. A FAFSA is required annually.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) are not based on need, but a FAFSA form must be filed. The maximum your parent may borrow is the cost of attendance minus any financial aid that you receive.

Alternative Loans – A variety of alternative private credit-based student loans are available. Information about these loans is available from Baker’s Financial Aid Office.

We recommend that you exhaust all federal student loan eligibility before applying for a private credit loan. Private credit loans can help bridge the gap between the actual cost of your education and the amount the government allows you to borrow. Private loans are credit based and lenders will review your history of borrowing money and paying it back; therefore, they can be denied.

Here is a list of lenders that Baker University has worked with: Enter Baker University and choose undergraduate.

All freshmen must have a credit-worthy coborrower, and upperclassmen with weak credit history may be required to have a coborrower. Repayment begins six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop to less than half-time enrollment. The minimum monthly payment is typically $50, and flexible repayment options are available.

Payment Options

Baker offers interest-free payment plans for students who choose to extend payments. The total amount due for the year after scholarships, grants, and loans are deducted is divided into payments beginning as early as July preceding the fall semester. Contact Nelnet Campus Commerce for additional information.

Financial Aid Policies

School of nursing professor helping student

Apply Now