Mission, Vision, Values
Home of the Wildcats
Baker University graduates are responsible global citizens who think critically, communicate effectively, act ethically, serve generously, and live fully.
We have achieved this by providing life-changing opportunities to our students and by maintaining a sharp focus on our mission and what is most important: to educate and nurture new generations and send them out into the world to change their communities.
Baker University is committed to assuring student learning, and developing confident, competent, and responsible contributors to society.
Vision & Purpose
Baker University is a premier private university with a tradition of academic excellence and student engagement in a respectful, inviting, and values-based learning community. The faculty provides creative, student-focused learning experiences that challenge students to analyze issues with depth and clarity. Students fully engage in their learning; connect with peers, faculty, and staff; and develop lifelong relationships with diverse groups of people. Graduates realize their potential to become confident, competent contributors to society.
In the tradition of our United Methodist heritage, these are Baker University’s values:
- Student learning and academic excellence. We provide quality learning environments promoting intellectual, professional and personal development resulting in lifelong learning.
- Critical thinking, inquiry and freedom of expression. We challenge all participants to think critically using open inquiry and freedom of expression
- Connections. We promote a community of belonging and Baker family connections, which results in lifelong associations.
- Integrating learning with faith and values. We expect all participants to be open to questions of faith and values as part of intellectual inquiry in the United Methodist tradition. In particular, we expect personal and professional responsibility that is based on high standards of ethical conduct.
- Inclusiveness. We embrace diversity of community, thought, and expression.
- Service to the community. We address the civic, social, health, and environmental needs of our global community.
School of Education
Baker University School of Education is committed to learning and to developing confident and competent educational leaders.
The School of Education provides quality programs grounded in a tradition of academic excellence and responds to the educational needs of the future.
The School of Education believes a confident and competent educational leader
- Advocates for all students and their learning successes;
- Has a strong knowledge base and sense of beliefs and values supported by educational research and best practices;
- Has the commitment and skills to transfer knowledge, beliefs and values into policy and practice;
- Demonstrates interpersonal practices that advance the welfare and dignity of all persons; and
- Maintains an unremitting drive for improvement.
School of Professional & Graduate Studies
The School of Professional and Graduate Studies develops confident, competent leaders, contributing to their communities through lifelong learning, professional success, and service to others.
We believe that education is not defined by age but rather desire and motivation.
- We provide an environment where students utilize resources and are encouraged to think critically.
- We provide a quality learning environment that builds on adult students’ academic, professional, and life experiences to foster lifelong learning.
We believe that academic achievement contributes to professional success.
- We challenge students by providing a rigorous academic environment designed to illustrate real-world applications.
- We provide curriculum that incorporates student and faculty experiences.
We serve our community by empowering our students.
- We promote awareness to inspire action within the community through value-based decision making.
- We provide unique preparation that will enable graduates to engage in and encourage positive community change.
School of Nursing
Through scholarship, leadership, innovation, and collaboration graduates will transform health care delivery within a culture of diversity across the continuum of care.
Baker University School of Nursing develops resilient, mindful, and accomplished nurses equipped to make significant contributions to the health of the populations they serve.
Baker University School of Nursing provides graduate education to assist professional nurses in achieving their personal goals, sustaining professional commitment, and meeting emerging health care needs of diverse populations.
The School of Nursing strives to accomplish the following:
- Offer a nursing curriculum that builds upon a strong foundation in liberal arts, sciences and standards of professional nursing practice.
- Provide an environment of learning through a partnership between students and faculty, dedicated to academic excellence and freedom of expression and community service.
- Retain a well-qualified faculty who are committed to excellence in teaching and participation in scholarship, service, professional development and nursing practice.
- Facilitate a constructive, productive and energizing work atmosphere environment where open, constructive communication, decision making, flexibility and self-growth are valued.
- Support opportunities for faculty and students to use current technology and learning resources in a variety of settings.
College of Arts & Sciences
The College of Arts and Sciences prepares students for a lifetime of continued intellectual, professional, and personal development. Graduates will be responsible global citizens who think critically, communicate effectively, act ethically, serve generously, and live fully.
Student Learning, Development & Success
We are passionate about student learning, development and success. We will provide a challenging, yet supportive, learning-centered educational experience that reflects a concern for academic excellence, sensitivity to changing and emerging student, stakeholder, and market requirements, and attention to the factors that influence student learning, development, fulfillment and success. We will build a living learning environment that promotes student engagement and ignites in our students a passion for lifelong learning. To do so, will require focus on organizational learning and agility.
Our commitment to community represents the essence of our campus culture. We will adopt policies, procedures, and practices that promote attention to individual needs and aspirations, as well as those that strengthen our University and the broader community that we serve. We value diverse perspectives and promote actions that demonstrate mutual respect among all members of our local community and the global community of which we are a part. We will actively engage students, faculty and staff in integrated learning communities that foster synergistic connections among and within academic disciplines, task groups and social clusters. We will seek ways to partner with our extended community to promote mutual enrichment, professional progress and the greater good.
We understand that character development is a lifelong pursuit. Therefore, we encourage continued character development for students, faculty and staff. We will seek and develop faculty and staff who will model ethical behavior, principled decision making and personal integrity in ways that will inspire these characteristics in our students. We will integrate ethics and analytical thinking throughout our curriculum and adopt an ethos of character development in our approach to athletics, cocurricular activities, student discipline and employee relations.
Civic & Social Responsibility
We are committed to the traditional United Methodist concerns for social justice and service to others, and we will seek faculty, staff and students that share this concern, regardless of their faith tradition. We will encourage a sense of social responsibility among members of our community by integrating academics, student development, cocurricular activities, University governance and community-service programs in ways that promote understanding of public policy and encourage activism, service to others, leadership development and a lifelong commitment to civic and social engagement.