A Place to Call Home
At Baker, we treat our international students as they truly are — special. We have a team of people who will stay in contact with you from the moment you show interest until our university president hands you your diploma on graduation day.
There’s a home for everyone at Baker. With more than 75 clubs and organizations, you will have many opportunities to be involved in college life. Learn more about our 40 areas of study and you’ll see that Baker is the right place for you.
“I came to visit in April and I instantly knew that this was the place I wanted to be. I couldn’t have found a better fit anywhere. From the coaching staff, professors, students—I walk across campus and I might have five people say hi to me. I might not know those people, but the great thing is that I know I have the time to get to know them on a personal level. It’s very exciting. As well, it might sound awful and please don’t hate me, mom and dad, but, I don’t miss home as much as I expected because I feel so at home here.”
Applicants who are residents of foreign countries are encouraged to apply for admission to Baker University. International students who are non-U.S. citizens should complete the international student application and submit the credentials listed below. All documents must be submitted in English to the Office of Admissions.
First-Time University Student
- An evaluation of secondary school work. This can be completed by SpanTran the Evaluation Company or by another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admissions.
- An official test score sent to Baker from SAT or ACT.
- Baker University ACT code – 1386
- Baker University SAT code – 6031
- Proof of English proficiency
- All official university transcripts:
- Students transferring with fewer than 24 college credit hours are required to submit all secondary school work to SpanTran the Evaluation Company or another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admissions.
- Students transferring 24 or more hours from a U.S. university are required send a copy of their secondary school work to the Office of Admissions.
- Students transferring from an international university are required to submit all secondary and post-secondary school work for evaluation to SpanTran the Evaluation Company or another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admission
- Proof of English proficiency
Once you have completed the admissions process and been academically accepted into the university, we will send you an I-20 form.
Cost | 2019 – 2020
|Required Fees (instructional fee, matriculation fee)||$680|
|Room and board||$8,350|
|Required Health Insurance (estimated) Aug. 1 — July 31||$1,736|
|Personal Expenses (approximately $150 per month for 9 months)||$1,350|
International students are eligible for academic merit scholarships of up to $14,000. They are also invited to apply for our participation awards in art, music, theatre, creative writing, journalism, broadcasting, and Speech Choir.
Note: Scholarships for our student-athletes are awarded differently than for nonathletes. Athletic scholarships are offered on a case-by-case basis. Coaches will speak with prospective student-athletes about the aid they are eligible to receive.
Students are also eligible for on-campus jobs. They will be required to apply for a Social Security number if they do not already have one.
Payments can be made through your students portal or with the help of the Business Office. The Business Office provides many services to the Baker University community, ranging from accounts payable and student account management to financial reporting.
Complete the affidavit of financial support and I-20
Pay $100 deposit
Submit your record of required immunizations by June 1.
Sign up for enrollment and have your preenrollment advisory meeting.
Freshmen, make sure you get your visa!
What to Bring or Order
o Waterproof mattress pad (required and should be purchased at a retailer offering extra-long twin mattress pads)
o Sheets, pillow, pillowcases (extra-long twin)
o Comforter and blankets
o Bath linens and supplies
o Laundry detergent
o School supplies
o Clothing appropriate for four seasons
o Something to remind you of home
Target and Walmart are both 15 minutes away. You can shop and ship to campus!
- Target 3201 S Iowa St., Pine Ridge Plaza, Lawrence, KS 66046 www.target.com
- Walmart 3300 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66046 www.walmart.com
*When shipping items to campus please format the address like this
Student’s Given Name (no nicknames)
618 Eighth Street
PO Box 65
Baldwin City, KS 66006
There are no city buses in Baldwin City, but everything is within walking distance. Transportation to and from other cities can be organized through Student Academic Success or through students. For a ride from MCI (Kansas City airport) contact Anna McCullough at anna.mccullough@bakerU.edu.
Hi, everyone! I will be your go-to person during your time at Baker! I will help you with your insurance, a Social Security card, and whatever else you may need during your time at Baker. Do not hesitate to reach out to me with questions.
Collins Library 120 | +1.785.594.8352 | kathy.wilson@bakerU.edu
The policy cannot be pro-rated and is purchased by semesters.
Connie Deel (connie.deel@bakerU.edu) is available to review personal existing coverage and determine whether it is acceptable. Students need to provide an electronic copy to Connie (in English) and she will determine whether the policy covers major medical as it relates to collegiate sports and repatriation.
International students may not participate in practice, games, or class without insurance coverage.
About Baldwin City, Kansas
Baker University is located in Baldwin City, a community of 4,100 people. You will enjoy the safe, quiet college community but also take advantage of the many cultural and social attractions in nearby cities.
- Kansas City is a major metropolitan area within an hour’s drive.
- Lawrence, a city of 90,500 people and the home of a major state university, is only a 15-minute drive north.
Kansas enjoys four seasons.
- Summer is usually hot and humid.
- Fall is cooler and pleasant.
- Winter ranges from very cold to somewhat mild. Although it snows, heavy snow is unusual.
- Spring is warm and can be rainy.
Assistant Director of International & Transfer Recruitment
Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
P.O. Box 65, Baldwin City, KS 66006