Parmenter hall and long student center

International Students

Baker is a Place to Call Home


Anna McCullough

Assistant Director of International & Transfer Recruitment

Office of Admissions

Office of Admissions
WhatsApp: +1.913.832.7756
fax: +1.785.594.8353


Monday – Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.


Mailing Address:

Baker University
P.O. Box 65, Baldwin City, KS 66006

Crowd and pep band at home football game

At Baker, we treat our international students as they truly are — special.

We have a team of people who will stay in contact with you from the moment you show interest until our university president hands you your diploma on graduation day.

There’s a home for everyone at Baker. With more than 75 clubs and organizations, you will have many opportunities to be involved in college life. Learn more about our 40 areas of study and you’ll see that Baker is the right place for you.

Osborn Memorial Chapel

Admission Requirements

Applicants who are not residents of the United States are encouraged to apply for admission to Baker University.

Students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents (green card holders) should complete the international student application and submit the credentials listed. All documents must be submitted in English to the Office of Admissions.

Application Deadlines

  • July 1 for new international students who need to apply for a new F-1 visa
  • August 6 for international students who are currently in the U.S. and do not need a new F-1 visa

First-Time University Students

  • Evaluation of secondary school work. This can be completed by  SpanTran the Evaluation Company or by another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admissions.
  • SAT or ACT test scores.
    • Baker University SAT code – 6031
    • Baker University ACT code – 1386
  • Proof of English proficiency. Students can prove proficiency in several ways:
    • Submit test scores from TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, or Scores from only one test are required to prove proficiency.
    • Demonstrate at least three years of attendance at an accredited U.S. high school or international school in which English was the language of instruction.
    • Proof of citizenship in a country approved by the Office of Admissions as an English-speaking country.
  • Transfer Students
    • All official university transcripts:
      • Students transferring with fewer than 24 college credit hours are required to submit all secondary school work to  SpanTran the Evaluation Company or another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admissions.
      • Students transferring 24 or more hours from a U.S. university are required to send a copy of their secondary school work to the Office of Admissions.
      • Students transferring from an international university are required to submit all secondary and post-secondary school work for evaluation to  SpanTran the Evaluation Company or another credential evaluator approved by the Office of Admission.
    • Proof of English proficiency. Students can prove proficiency in several ways:
      • Submit test scores from TOEFL, IELTS, SAT, or Scores from only one test are required to prove proficiency.
      • Complete at least 15 transferrable college-level credit hours, including 3 hours of English Composition with a grade of C or better.
      • Completion of an English language program approved by the Office of Admissions.

Cost | 2021 – 2022

Required Fees (instructional fee, matriculation fee)
Room and Board
Books (approximately)
Required Health Insurance (estimated) Aug. 1 — July 31
Personal Expenses (approximately $150 per month for 9 months)

I-20 Process

After being admitted to the university, you will need to provide financial documents showing that you can meet our estimated costs for one year of study at Baker. This is required by the U.S. government. Once we receive proof of ability to pay, you will be issued an I-20 form by Baker University. The I-20 will allow you to apply for your F-1 student visa through the U.S. government.

Additional Information

International students are eligible for academic merit scholarships up to $14,000 per year. They are also invited to apply for any scholarships that are not need based. This includes participation awards for music, theatre, art, creative writing, and radio or newspaper.

Note: Scholarships for student-athletes are awarded differently than for nonathletes. Athletic scholarships are offered on a case-by-case basis and cannot be added to an academic merit award. Coaches will speak with prospective student-athletes about the aid they are eligible to receive.

Students are also eligible for on-campus jobs. They will be required to apply for a Social Security number if they do not already have one.

Students are charged for one year at a time. You can make one large payment for the year’s costs, or you can enroll in a monthly payment plan. Contact the Business Office for details.


Enrollment Checklist


Complete the steps above to receive your I-20.

Apply for your F-1 student visa.

Pay our $100 enrollment deposit by credit card online.

Fill out your housing application. Explore housing options, and take a virtual tour of our housing.

Register for orientation and enrollment.

Submit your vaccination information and records.

Tree Campus USA logo on photo of a tree



Hello! For questions about the admissions process, I-20 and visa application process, housing, or any pre-arrival concerns, email or WhatsApp me.



Anna McCullough
Assistant Director of International & Transfer Recruitment | +1.785.594.8458 | WhatsApp: +1.913.832.7756



Hi, everyone! I will be your go-to person after your arrival at Baker! I will help you with your insurance, a Social Security card, and whatever else you may need during your time at Baker. Do not hesitate to reach out to me with questions.



Kathy Wilson
Student Academic Success Coordinator
Collins Library 120 | +1.785.594.8352 |

Move-In Tips

What to Bring or Order

  • Waterproof mattress pad, size Twin XL (required)
  • Bed sheets, size Twin XL
  • Pillow and pillowcases, blankets, duvet
  • Towels and personal hygiene supplies
  • Computer, tablet, or other technology
  • Clothes hangers for the closets
  • Clothing for all four seasons
  • Laundry detergent
  • School supplies
  • Something to remind you of home

Closest Shopping

  • Target and Walmart are both 15 minutes away. You can shop and ship to campus!
  • Target, 3201 S Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66046
  • Walmart, 3300 Iowa St., Lawrence, KS 66046
  • *When shipping items to campus, use this address:

Student’s Given Name

615 Dearborn St.

Baldwin City, KS 66006


The nearest airport is Kansas City International Airport (code MCI). It is about 64 miles away from the Baker University campus. For help arranging transport to campus, contact Anna McCullough at

Baldwin City is a small town and does not have public transportation. But, everything is within walking distance of campus!

Insurance Information

All international students are required to enroll in Baker University’s student health insurance plan. Students will not be exempted from this policy if they already have personal health insurance.

For details about the plan and how to enroll, contact Kathy Wilson at

About Baldwin City, Kansas

Baker University is located in Baldwin City, a community of 4,100 people. You will enjoy the safe, quiet college community but also take advantage of the many cultural and social attractions in nearby cities.

  • Kansas City is a major metropolitan area within an hour’s drive.
  • Lawrence, a city of 90,500 people and the home of a major state university, is only a 15-minute drive north.


Kansas enjoys four seasons.

  • Summer is usually hot and humid.
  • The fall is cooler and pleasant.
  • Winter ranges from very cold to somewhat mild. Although it snows, heavy snow is unusual.
  • Spring is warm and can be rainy
Map showing the location of Baldwin City, Kansas and its distance from Lawrence (24 kilometers), Kansas City (74 kilometers), Los Angeles (2185 kilometers) and New York City (1764 kilometers)