A Rewarding Vocation
Students in our recreation program have the opportunity to turn a lifelong passion for health and fitness into a rewarding vocation. Our recreation program prepares graduates to promote active, healthy lifestyles for all populations through programs that focus on the whole person.
The curriculum integrates both theory and real-world experience that emphasizes academic learning, physical development, and active engagement in ways that allow graduates to educate and inspire success in their communities.
“Recreation majors can travel down several paths when pursuing their profession. From nonprofit community organizations, commercial recreation, employee services, tourism and hospitality, private membership organizations, armed forces, and park agencies, students have many avenues to pursue through this recreation major.”
Beyond Textbooks & Lectures
Students preparing for a career in recreation participate in practicum and internship experiences with recreation professionals, where they apply what they learn in the classroom to on-site experiences.
Our small classes ensure students get personal attention from faculty members and engage in robust discussions with classmates.
From their first year to their last, students are eligible for departmental and academic scholarships, as well as scholarships for participating in campus activities.
Students become well versed in communications, business, program development, and other areas to prepare for successful careers in an exciting, competitive field.
Our recreation majors are prepared for jobs in these fields:
- Commercial recreation
- Nonprofit community organizations
- Employee services
- Tourism and hospitality
- Private membership organizations
- Armed forces
- Park agencies
The Department of Education gives these awards with financial prizes to be applied to the following year’s tuition:
- Mildred Hunt Riddle Departmental Recognition Scholarship for Education
- Carol Lee Miller and Carla Miller Reynolds Scholarship
- E. Vincent “Doc” Reichley Scholarship
- Helen Bauer Endowed Scholarship
- Rose Lister Goertz Scholarship
- Clara Louise Johanning-Dufrene Scholarship
- Dan and Peggy Harris Scholarship
- Mildred Hunt Riddle Departmental Recognition Scholarship for Health and Physical Education
Recreation Course Descriptions
Meet the Faculty