The option of building-level licensure provides an opportunity for teachers in Kansas who already have a master’s degree and at least three years of teaching experience to complete additional coursework and become a school administrator.

Gain the Following

  • Leadership skills
  • Practical experience while working alongside a practicing school administrator
  • Opportunities for professional growth

Students can obtain building licensure in the state of Kansas. Students outside of Kansas should check with the Department of Education in their state to see if this licensure is accepted.

Required of All Students of Building-Level Licensure Only

  • Official transcript from institution that granted master’s degree
  • Teaching certificate
  • Minimum of three academic years of professional employment in an accredited K-12 school
  • wo letters of recommendation

Apply Now by Submitting the Following

  • Completed application form
  • $20 application fee
  • Copy of teaching certificate
  • Official transcripts from master’s degree institution (Baker University accepts Certified PDF Transcripts from the University of Kansas. Transcripts must be sent to
  • Two letters of recommendation from professional colleagues
  • Letter of Recommendation Form
  • Minimum TOEFL scores for international students

33 Credit Hours of Core Leadership Courses

The required education course work below depends on evaluation of your master’s transcript.

  • Foundations of Educational Administration (this course is a prerequisite to all other core leadership courses)
  • Organizational Health and Performance
  • School Personnel
  • Curriculum and Instruction for Administrators
  • Student Services, Climate, and Programs
  • Legal and Ethical Issues of School Leadership
  • School Planning, Operations, and Finance
  • The Ethical Building Leader
  • The Principal as Assessment Leader
  • Inquiry and Research
  • Educational Leadership: Technology in Support of Teaching and Learning

Capstone Project | 4 Credit Hours of Directed Field Experience

The capstone project in the building-level licensure only program consists of directed field experience, which is similar to a practicum and provides you with hands-on experience as you work alongside a practicing school administrator.


You will also compile a portfolio and submit it to the faculty.

  • Completion of the approved 33-credit-hour core curriculum
  • A minimum graduate grade point average of 3.25 with no more than one course completed with a grade of C (D and F grades are not acceptable.)
  • Completion of all coursework within six years of the date of initial enrollment
  • A minimum composite average of 3.5 on the Professional Skills Survey
  • A minimum of five years of experience in an accredited K-12 program.
  • Completion of a program portfolio and Directed Field Experience
  • Payment of all tuition and fees
An electronic portfolio consisting of educational artifacts from your building-level licensure coursework is a requirement for program completion. The portfolio accomplishes the following:

  • Showcases artifacts that demonstrate your skills as a potential building administrator
  • Provides evidence that you have met or made significant progress toward the program objectives
  • Provides evidence of your growth during the program
  • Demonstrates your ability to use reflective construction

Your portfolio is in an electronic format, compiled online with TaskStream.

Directed Field Experience FAQ

The capstone project consists of directed field experience, which is similar to a practicum and provides you with hands-on experience as you work alongside a practicing school administrator.

1. What is directed field experience?

Directed field experience (DFE) is the MSSL or Building-Level Licensure capstone course and is designed so that you can take the beliefs, values, theory and knowledge that you’ve discussed in the classroom and transfer them to hands-on administrative responsibility. Under the supervision of a building administrator and a University supervisor, you will log a minimum of 100 hours of DFE covering a wide array of administrative responsibilities within the school setting.

2. When can I begin my DFE?

Because the DFE is intended to be the capstone course of your program, you must have successfully completed 21 MSL credit hours. To apply for the DFE, you must be in good standing with the district and building in which you are employed.

We will contact you at your Baker email address when it is time for you to apply for the DFE.

3. What happens after my application to begin DFE is received?

When we receive your application, we conduct an audit of your coursework to make sure that you have completed the required courses and that you have the required GPA as well as the required average on the Professional Skills Surveys. The audited application then goes to the Graduate Education Committee (GEC) for approval. You will be notified of your status via email.

4. Are there reasons my application might not be approved?
  • You have not completed the required number of MSL courses before the beginning of the DFE.
  • Your GPA has fallen below the required 3.25 or you have received more than one course with a C grade.
  • You have not met a composite average of 8.0 or better on the Professional Skills Surveys from your MSSL course instructors.
5. Do I have recourse if my application is not approved?

If your application is not approved, you may petition the Graduate Education Committee (GEC) by letter for acceptance into the DFE.

6. Who are the key people involved in my DFE?

You will need to identify an administrator mentor in the building where you will conduct your DFE. This mentor must be certified in building administration and have a minimum of three years of experience at the selected building level. We recommend that this mentor have a minimum of two years of administrative experience in the current building. You will complete 130 hours of administrative activities. To meet the requirements of your DFE, you will also need a second building mentor in a diverse location and at a different level of building administration as a part of the 130 hours.

A DFE coordinator is actively involved in your DFE, conducting mandatory class sessions as well as providing a university supervisor to assist you and your building mentor during the DFE.

7. How long will the DFE take?

The DFE covers a two-semester time frame. You may enroll in either an August to May, October to June, or March to November DFE. During this time you will participate in 130 hours of required DFE experiences. You may complete 20 hours of these requirements in the semester before the start of the DFE.

8. How will my DFE be assessed?

You will be expected to attend three class sessions at Baker University in Overland Park or Wichita. You will also complete an electronic program portfolio. Your primary building mentor and University supervisor will evaluate your progress.

9. Will financial aid pay for my DFE credit hours?

The DFE, if taken as a stand-alone course, does not qualify for financial aid. However, if you are concurrently enrolled in other courses along with the DFE and meet the definition of continuous enrollment, you may be eligible for financial aid. Please refer to our Financial Aid FAQ section for more information.


School of Education

Pin It on Pinterest