Bachelor's Degree in Biology
The Department of Biology and Chemistry offers a biology major with four tracks:
- Molecular bioscience
- Vertebrate structure and function
- Ecology and evolution
- Certification to teach biology at the secondary level
The department also offers a minor in biology.
Hands-On Experience Outside the Classroom
- Original research | All students have the opportunity to do original research with a faculty member. Students have a chance to present their research at regional and national conferences, and some have even traveled internationally.
- Summer research | Students may gain experience during summer research programs at major research institutions such as the Sowers Institute for Medical Research, University of Kansas, University of Missouri and Quintiles.
- Health care observation | Students preparing for a career in health care participate in shadowing experiences with health care professionals.
- Natural areas | Baker maintains the Baker Wetlands, the
Ivan L. Boyd Arboretum for research and observation.
Preparation for Graduate School
About 60% of our biology majors go on to earn a master's degree or PhD or to earn an advanced degree in one of these fields:
Over the past 10 years, 100% of students who applied to dental school were accepted, and 90% of graduates who applied to medical school—MD and DO—were accepted.
Learn more about preprofessional programs.
Preparation for a Career
Baker biology graduates get jobs as:
- Science teachers
- Junior scientists in research labs and for the Environmental Protection Agency
- Wildlife biologists for Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks
- Park rangers Army Corps of Engineers
Mulvane Science Seminar Series
The series welcomes alumni or professional scientists to campus to share their research with current undergraduate students. Recent seminars have included Amber Smith, biology, '10, (KU); Jackie Thompson, chemistry, '11, (KU); Kyle Baum, biology '13, (ATSU); and Dr. Lori Eggert (MU).
Students interested in the study of biology may also look into the following disciplines offered at Baker University’s Baldwin City undergraduate campus: