administrator in a meeting raising hand

School of Education

Building-Level Licensure

Prepare to be a school leader.

Tell Me More

Tara Brinkoetter

Director of Enrollment for Online & Graduate Studies & Student Services

Baker Online

Earn Your Building-Level Licensure Endorsement at Baker University


If you’re a dedicated educator with a master’s in education seeking to advance your career, Baker University’s building-level licensure program is your pathway to becoming a transformative leader in PK–12 education.

This 13-credit-hour graduate-level endorsement program provides an opportunity for educators in Kansas who already have a master’s in education* and at least one year of experience in education to complete graduate education coursework at a lower credit hour cost and a path to a role as a school administrator.

Whether you aspire to become a principal or assistant principal or to take on other school leadership roles, our building-level licensure only (BLLO) and Praxis prep programs will equip you with the knowledge and leadership skills to thrive. In addition to graduate education coursework, you will gain hands-on experience working alongside a practicing school administrator during your directed field experience.

*Accepted master’s in education degrees are evaluated by the admissions team. Please contact if you have questions.

When can I start?

Classes begin twice a year, typically in June and October.

What is the cost?

Building licensure students receive a 30 percent discount off the $366 per credit hour cost.

  • 9 credit hours of principalship courses
  • 4 credit hours of directed field experience

Who should I contact?

Contact Jacob Hemenway for information on how to enroll:

Phone: 913.344.6078 | Text: 913.357.8387

Tell Me More

Schedule a Meeting to Learn More

Business woman in meeting.

Program Details: Building-Level Licensure

This graduate education endorsement program prepares you to take the Praxis exam for building licensure in Kansas. Students outside of Kansas should check with the Department of Education in their state to see if this licensure is accepted.

Admissions Requirements

To be considered for our building-level licensure endorsement program, you’ll need the following:

  • Official transcript from the institution that conferred your master’s in education from a regionally accredited institution of higher education
  • Current educator license, certificate, or valid professional clinical license
  • At least one year of teaching or school specialist experience in an accredited PK–12 school
  • Three professional references that attest to your leadership potential (as a part of your application)

Apply Now by Submitting the Following

  • Completed application form: Choose Non-Degree School Leadership
  • $20 application fee
  • Copy of educator license
  • Official transcripts from the accredited institution that conferred the master’s degree (how to send transcripts to Baker)
  • Three letters of reference
  • Proof of one year of experience as an educator
  • International students should contact for more information.

Building-Level Licensure Program Highlights

Our flexible building-level licensure and Praxis prep graduate program is designed to fit your busy schedule, with online Zoom sessions held weekly on Wednesday evenings and courses offered in our accelerated seven-week format. You can complete the program in as little as eight months.

Upon successful program completion and a passing score on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment, you’ll be eligible for a two-year initial license in PK–12 building leadership from the Kansas State Department of Education.

Affordability: Enjoy a 30 percent discount on the $366 per credit hour cost, making quality education accessible.

Real-world experience: Gain hands-on insights by collaborating with seasoned school administrators during your directed field experience.

Secure your future: Prepare for and attain the licensure needed to embark on your journey as a school leader.

Build a brighter future in education: Baker’s building-level licensure program aligns seamlessly with KSDE standards, empowering you to lead with a clear sense of purpose.

Leadership in action: Our program equips you to navigate the everyday challenges of school leadership with confidence and skill.

Practical learning: Directed field experience bridges the gap between theory and practice, enhancing your real-world capabilities.

Your path to principalship: Forge a direct route to becoming a principal or assistant principal through our building-level licensure program.

Explore more opportunities: Consider pursuing an Ed.D. in Educational Leadership (P–12) for expanded career horizons and professional growth.

teacher in classroom

Exceptional Experiences: Building-Level Licensure Endorsement Program

Upon concluding the building-level licensure program, candidates will have the experience needed to successfully:

  • Lead collaboratively by developing and implementing school mission, vision, and continuous improvement strategies.
  • Advocate for ethical decisions and uphold professional norms.
  • Cultivate an inclusive, equitable, and culturally responsive school environment.
  • Implement effective instructional leadership strategies.
  • Foster collaboration with families, communities, and stakeholders.
  • Improve school management, governance, and compliance with policies and regulations.
  • Enhance professional capacity, development, and supervision processes.

Discover the Value of Your Building-Level Licensure

See how affordable your building-level licensure program can be. Baker boasts the highest return on investment of private universities in Kansas, according to the Georgetown University Center on Education and the Workforce (2022).

Tuition & Fees

Business meeting

Related Programs at Baker University

In addition to our building-level endorsement program, Baker University offers several graduate programs and educational opportunities for educators seeking to expand their potential: