FINANCIAL AID | Helping you BU


of Baker students at the College of Arts and Sciences receive financial aid in the form of scholarships and grants—totaling thousands of dollars.


of Baker students receive participation awards for fine arts, athletics, and involvement in student-run media.

Last year, more than $24 million in financial aid benefited Baker students, making their education more affordable.

Scholarships & Awards

To be awarded an academic scholarship, freshmen and new transfer students must be admitted to the College of Arts and Sciences or a School of Education undergraduate program. If you have not applied for admission, you may apply online.

After you are admitted to Baker, we’ll use the information on file to determine your academic scholarship eligibility. For need-based aid, you should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  between October 1 and March 15. When your FAFSA results arrive, we’ll prepare your individual financial aid letter, which details all known sources of financial aid. Learn more about about need-based programs.

Freshman Competition Awards

Edward Lin Harter & Sylvia Lloyd Harter Scholarship | Full tuition for four years, provided you maintain a minimum GPA. Eligible students will be notified in their acceptance packet.

Ada Hopkins Lake Endowed Scholarship | Full tuition, fees, on-campus housing, meals, and books for four years, provided you maintain a minimum GPA. Students eligible for this needs-based award will be notified in their acceptance packet.

Presidential Scholarship | These scholarships are awarded based on participation in Academic Scholarship Competition Day and are in addition to other scholarships awarded by Baker University. Eligible students will be notified in their acceptance packet.

Competition for Harter, Lake, and Presidential awards are held in December. Learn more about Academic Scholarship Competition Day.

Scholarship/Award Amount Renewal 
cum. GPA
Honors Scholarship $13,000 3.00
Academic Merit Scholarship $10,000 2.50
Wildcat Scholarship $8,000 2.25
University Award $6,000 2.15

All scholarships are locked in and do not increase after March 15.

Transfer Awards

Eligibility for the following scholarships is based on a cumulative transfer GPA determined by the Baker University registrar at the time of enrollment.

Scholarship/Award Amount Req.
cum. GPA
Honors Scholarship $13,000 3.60-4.0 3.00
Academic Merit Scholarship $10,000 3.0-3.59 2.50
Wildcat Scholarship $8,000 2.60-2.99 2.25
Phi Theta Kappa
*Must be a member
Additional $1,000 3.25 2.50


Athletic Awards

Scholarships for our student-athletes are packaged differently than for students who do not participate in varsity athletics. Athletic awarding is done on a case-by-case basis. All prospective athletes must complete a FAFSA. Coaches will visit with prospective players about the aid they are eligible to receive.

The Athletic Department offers scholarship awards that recognize academic and athletic talent. In addition to these offers, the Bishop Quayle Award and an award from the Harter Scholarship Competition can be added. Federal, state, and outside aid can provide additional assistance.

Participation Awards & Additional Baker Scholarships

Some of the following awards may be added to an academic scholarship; however, the total amount of Baker-funded scholarships and grants cannot exceed the cost of tuition for the upcoming year. Recipients must maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative Baker GPA plus earn a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester to renew any of the following awards:

Participation Award

Awards are available in the following areas: studio art, journalism and digital media, broadcasting, creative writingmusic, and theatre. Students who exhibit special talent in these areas may be eligible for a participation award. Award amounts vary according to funding, number of applicants and the student’s contribution to the activity. Recipients must be accepted for admission.

Cultural Diversity Scholarship*

To qualify, at least one parent must be Native American or Native Alaskan, Asian or Pacific Islander, African-American, or Hispanic. The student must also be a U.S. citizen and planning to enroll as a full-time student at Baker. Data is gathered through self-reporting on the application for admission. The FAFSA is required annually. *Need-based award

Alumni Legacy Advantage | $1,000 per year 

Children and grandchildren of Baker graduates are eligible.

Former Concurrent Credit Student | $50,000 over four years

Students from Blue Valley, Shawnee Mission, and DeSoto schools who earned a C or better in a Baker University concurrent credit course are eligible for a $50,000 scholarship over a four-year, degree-seeking enrollment period.

Out-of-State Grant*

Incoming students who are not residents of Kansas may be eligible for this need-based award. The FAFSA must be completed annually. Not all out-of-state students are funded. *Need-based award

Bishop Quayle Award | up to $600 per year

Baker will match your church’s contribution from an established scholarship fund. You should be an active participant in a church, which does not have to be United Methodist. Print the application and take it to your church for completion.
pdf Bishop Quayle Church Matching Scholarship

Tuition Remission/Exchange

Dependents of full-time employees of Baker or eligible tuition exchange schools are required to complete the FAFSA annually by March 15. Tuition assistance will be a combination of state and federal grants and institutional dollars.

Outside Scholarships

The following sources of aid are available from other donors:

The United Methodist Scholarship Program is a churchwide educational service providing scholarships to help supplement the financial needs of today’s students. Funding for these scholarships is provided through Special Sunday Offerings, will, annuities, the United Methodist Higher Education Foundation, and other designated gifts. Contact the United Methodist Higher Education Foundation for more information.

Contact the Financial Aid Office for an application for the Diffenbaugh Grant for Missouri Residents.

Baker’s quarterly Outside Scholarship Newsletter lists many scholarship opportunities.

The Office of Financial Aid is the only office at Baker University authorized to offer financial aid to students. Only awards originating from this office will constitute a commitment on behalf of Baker University. Recommendations for awards can be made by faculty or staff on campus, and these are taken into consideration before the award letter is sent. Financial aid is disbursed through the Business Office at the beginning of each semester. Employment checks for campus work are disbursed monthly.

Learn more about scholarship and college savings options for low- to moderate-income students living in the greater Kansas City area.

Federal & State Financial Aid

All students must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). All applicants who receive a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant will have a loan included in their awards. Applicants may decline the loan; however, a grant or scholarship will not be substituted for a loan that is declined.

Kansas Comprehensive Grant (need based)

Kansas residents should apply for this need-based, state-funded grant by filling out the FAFSA by March 15 in order to meet the priority processing deadline of April 1. Applicants must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours and maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA. This grant is available for eight semesters if you show financial need.

Kansas State Scholarship | $100–$1,000 (need based)

Kansas residents must release their ACT test scores to the Kansas Board of Regents (KBOR) no later than the December test date of their senior year in high school. In addition to completing the FAFSA, students must also complete an additional state aid application. Selection is determined solely by KBOR. Renewal is based on maintaining a cumulative 3.0 GPA.

Federal Pell Grant | $652–$6,095 (need based)

The U.S. Department of Education determines recipients and the amount of the award based on FAFSA results. The Pell Grant is targeted to high-need students.

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG) | need based, as funds are available

Recipients must show need on the FAFSA each year for renewal. Grants will be awarded to students with exceptional need for funding. The amount can vary each year and depends on funding. Preference is given to students who are eligible for Federal Pell Grants.

Federal TEACH Grant | up to $3,752

Students who intend to teach in a school that serves students from low-income families, AND are majoring in a high-need field of foreign language, mathematics, reading specialist, science, or special education, can be considered for a grant up to $3,752 per year. It is recommended that students complete introductory courses in education before considering this grant program due to the service obligation requirements; therefore, this grant is not available to freshmen.

Federal Direct Student Loans

A Subsidized Loan is based on need, and the government pays the interest while you are in school. An Unsubsidized Loan is available to students regardless of financial need. The federal government does not pay the interest while you are in school. You have the option of paying the interest while you’re in school or having it added to the principle when you go into repayment. The FAFSA is required annually.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)

The maximum amount parents may borrow is cost of attendance minus all other financial aid. The FAFSA must be filed annually, even though this loan is not based on need.

Federal Work Study (FWS) (need based)

Awarding of Federal Work Study eligibility does not guarantee a job. The average number of hours per week is six. Students are only paid for the hours they work. Renewal is based on job performance and by maintaining a 2.0 GPA.

Alternative Loans

​A variety of alternative private credit-based student loans are available. Information about these loans is available from Baker’s Financial Aid Office.

We recommend that you exhaust all federal student loan eligibility before applying for a private credit loan. Private credit loans can help bridge the gap between the actual cost of your education and the amount the government allows you to borrow. Private loans are credit based and lenders will review your history of borrowing money and paying it back; therefore, they can be denied.

Here is a list of lenders that Baker University has worked with: Enter Baker University and choose undergraduate.    

All freshmen must have a credit-worthy coborrower, and upperclassmen with weak credit history may be required to have a coborrower. Repayment begins six months after you graduate, leave school, or drop to less than half-time enrollment. The minimum monthly payment is typically $50, and flexible repayment options are available.

Kansas Ethnic Minority Scholarship

Designed to assist financially needy, academically competitive students who are identified as members of any of the following ethnic/racial groups: African American, American Indian or Alaskan Native, Asian or Pacific Islander, or Hispanic. Selection priority is given to Kansas residents who will graduate from a Kansas high school in the current year. The minimum academic requirements include one of the following: 1) ACT score of 21 or SAT of 990, 2) cumulative high school GPA of 3.0, 3) high school rank of upper 33%, 4) completion of Kansas Scholars Curriculum, 5) selection by National Merit Corporation in any category or 6) selection by College Board as a Hispanic Scholar. New applicants must have their high school counselor, registrar or similar official complete the back of a State Aid Application. All applicants complete and submit the FAFSA. Awards are based on financial need. Ethnic Minority scholarship recipients may receive up to $1,850 annually based on 1) financial need as determined on the FAFSA and 2) availability of State funds.

Payment Options

Baker offers interest-free payment plans for students who choose to extend payments. The total amount due for the year after scholarships, grants, and loans are deducted is divided into payments beginning as early as July preceding the fall semester. Contact Nelnet Campus Commerce for additional information.

Questions About Your Financial Aid Package?

If you are a new student and have received your financial aid package and have questions, or if you have been admitted and have questions about your FAFSA, submit a financial aid advising request to set up a call with us and let us know how we can help.

FAFSA | Free Application for Federal Student Aid

Central to the financial aid process is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA can be located and completed online. This federal form determines a student’s eligibility for state and federal funds by analyzing income and asset data. All recipients of Baker-funded aid must be enrolled full time. The Office of Financial Aid uses the FAFSA to calculate the funds that can be expected from a family to meet educational costs at any college in the United States. This expected family contribution is subtracted from an established budget at Baker to determine financial need. Federal and state regulations prohibit students from receiving need-based aid in excess of their calculated financial need. Recipients of federal or state grants, loans, or campus work must be U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens.

Independent & Dependent Students

Independent/dependent student status is determined on the FAFSA. To be independent by age, the student must be 23 by Jan. 1 of the FAFSA year, a veteran, a ward of the court or an orphan, married prior to the completion of the FAFSA, in graduate school, or supporting a child or dependent parent.

Financial Aid Disbursement

Financial aid is disbursed to your account at Baker University. If excess funds exist after all tuition and fees are paid, a credit balance will be available.


Jana Parks, Director of Financial Aid
Office: Denious Hall

Office of Financial Aid
P.O. Box 65
Baldwin City, KS 66006-0065

Monday-Friday: 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Pin It on Pinterest