Baker offers scholarships to music majors and nonmusic majors for their participation in Baker University music ensembles and activities. Financial awards are available to academically gifted and musically talented students. The amounts of these music scholarships are based on musical ability and potential shown through audition.
Music Scholarship Audition Days
Saturday, Nov. 11, 2017
Monday, Feb. 19, 2018
Saturday, March 3, 2018
Saturday, March 24, 2018
Saturday, April 21, 2018
Steps for Music Audition Days
- Apply and be accepted to Baker University.
- Fill out the music scholarship application.
- Email the following link and your area of interest to your high school music teacher or a private instructor: www.bakerU.edu/musicrecommendation. You can also ask your teacher to fill out a hard copy of the teacher recommendation form and send it to us.
- Schedule your audition during one of our scholarship audition days. To schedule your audition, call the Music Office at 785.594.8478 or email perform@bakerU.edu. We can also schedule an audition during the fall semester if that is more convenient.
- After the last audition day, you may still apply for a scholarship and schedule an audition for any weekday. We recommend that you audition for a music participation award before the end of April preceding your first year of college.
You will perform for five to eight minutes. Following your performance, music program faculty will interview you. At this time you will have the opportunity to ask questions about Baker University and the Department of Music and Theatre.
Any repertoire that you have prepared as a soloist for regional or state music festivals is appropriate for your audition. You are strongly encouraged to select an audition piece or pieces that are accompanied and to thoroughly practice with the accompaniment in preparation. You are welcome to bring your own accompanist or one will be provided. A recorded accompaniment is not appropriate.
Instrumentalists should prepare a solo, etude or movements from a work for your instrument. Memorization is not required.
Vocalists should prepare two contrasting songs. Memorization is recommended.
To arrange your audition, please contact the Music Office at 785.594.8478 or perform@bakerU.edu.
Students who live more than four hours away, who are not otherwise able to make it to campus for an audition, may submit a DVD recording of their audition repertoire. Mail to Baker University, Dept. of Music and Theatre, PO Box 65, Baldwin City, KS 66006-0065.
Music Scholarship FAQ
1. What kind of financial aid is available?
2. Do I have to be a music major to qualify?
3. If I receive a music scholarship my freshman year, will I have it all four years?
4. If I receive another university scholarship, am I still eligible for a music scholarship?
5. What do I have to do to apply for a music scholarship?
6. Do I have to audition?
Yes. You must complete three steps before music faculty will recommend you for an award.
7. How do I request an audition?
P.O. Box 65 Baldwin City, KS 66006 785-594-6451