Baker offers scholarships to music majors and nonmusic majors for their participation in Baker University music ensembles and activities.
To audition for a scholarship, follow these steps:
- Apply for admission to Baker University by submitting the online application.
- Fill out the music scholarship application. You will have the option of submitting a URL for a prerecorded audition (we recommend either as unlisted YouTube recording or playlist or through file-sharing folders like DropBox or Google Drive) and selecting an interview date or requesting a real-time, virtual audition and interview date and time with music faculty.
- Email the following link and your area of interest to your high school music teacher or a private instructor: bakerU.edu/musicrecommendation. You can also ask your teacher to fill out a hard copy of the teacher recommendation form and send it to us.
What to Prepare for the Audition
- You should perform for five to eight minutes.
- Any repertoire that you have prepared as a soloist for regional or state music festivals is appropriate for your audition.
- Vocalists should prepare two vocal solos of contrasting styles with either a live or recorded accompaniment from SmartMusic, VirtuallyVocal.com, or accompanying tracks from repertoire books. Memorization is recommended.
- Pianists should prepare two solos of contrasting styles. Memorization is optional.
- Instrumentalists should prepare a solo, etude, or movements from a larger work. Memorization is not required.
If you have questions, contact the Music Office at 785.594.8478 or send an email to perform@bakerU.edu.
2021-2022 Music and Theatre Auditions