CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR EDUCATORS
Choose from professional development and recertification courses in diverse content areas on a variety of topics.
- Earn graduate credits to meet state recertification requirements.
- Increase knowledge in a particular subject area.
- Increase your classroom effectiveness.
- Enhance your earning power.
Take courses in Overland Park or online.
Enroll two weeks before your course starts
Course registrations submitted less that two weeks before the start date will not be accepted. If you have questions or concerns, please send them to continuinged@bakerU.edu.
Continuing Education Partnerships
Baker’s School of Education partners with a variety of organizations to offer courses across the state and the greater Kansas City area.
EDUCATING WITH TECHNOLOGY
Gain the power to engage and inspire today’s tech-savvy students.
Continuing education courses for educators cover cloud productivity, social media, multimedia, and more:
- Investigate and evaluate free classroom management apps, web tools, and web-based collaborative productivity tools.
- Learn more about the Google tools developed specifically for educators.
- Create academically challenging games that enhance your curriculum.
- Create tablet-based lessons that foster digital collaboration.
- Create powerful presentations and virtual field trips.
- Explore digital storytelling and blogging.
- Use social media to improve lessons, find resources, collaborate, and communicate.
TUITION & FEES
|Technology fee||$10/credit hour|
Welcome to Baker University’s continuing education program! Whether you want to learn more about a particular subject or how to become more effective in the classroom or are seeking graduate credits for recertification, we offer a variety of courses and professional development opportunities year-round both on campus and online to meet your needs. I look forward to working with you.
ON CAMPUS, ONLINE, HYBRID
Take courses in Overland Park for face-to-face instruction and discussion. Or take courses online for maximum convenience. Hybrid courses use face-to-face instruction of course content complemented with online discussion.
REGISTER & START ANY TIME
Classes are held year-round; new courses start nearly every week. On-campus classes meet at night or on weekends. Day and evening courses are available in the summer.
FACULTY HAVE A PASSION FOR EDUCATION
All faculty are experienced educators and administrators, either currently working or recently retired. They care about the future of education and are driven to build effective leaders in the field.
CONTINUING EDUCATION PARTNERSHIPS
Science City's ScienceWise Courses for Graduate Credit
Science City & Baker University
Baker University is a national graduate credit provider for Science City’s ScienceWise, which offers teachers, educators, and after-school providers two ways to complete high-quality, standards-based courses through fun and flexible professional development opportunities.
ScienceWise provides the course work, Baker University provides the graduate credit, and educators gain practical strategies, content and resources for the classroom.
Take Courses Online or at Union Station in Kansas City
Courses are offered year-round.
PreK-12 Course Work Areas
- Instructional Strategies
Check the ScienceWise website for information on upcoming courses.
- Each course has a registration fee and is payable to Science City.
- Graduate credit is $70 per credit hour and is payable to Baker University. (Once you enroll in the ScienceWise course, you have the option within the course to sign up for graduate credit.)
To Receive Baker University Graduate Credit
Enroll directly through ScienceWise to view course options at https://www.unionstation.org/sciencecity/sciencewise-courses-2018-2019 and follow the Baker University graduate credit link.
Once the course begins, students have the option to complete the Baker University online registration form to gain graduate college credit. If you don’t complete the Baker University registration form, you will not receive graduate credit. Upon completion of the course, ScienceWise will send final grades to Baker University to be posted on transcripts.
Please note: Students will be billed by ScienceWise and Baker University separately.
Learning Center in Haysville
The Learning Center in Haysville offers both on-ground and online workshops and courses for Baker credit.
Workshops & Courses
View the Learning Center in Haysville website for a calendar of upcoming workshops and courses.
Smoky Hill Education Service Center
Orion Education & Training (formerly South Central Kansas Education Service Center)
Orion Education and Training offers both online and on-ground professional development and courses for Baker credit.
Orion Education and Training offices and meeting facilities are located in Clearwater, Kansas, just a few miles southwest of Wichita.
Workshops & Courses
View the Orion Education and Training Website website for a calendar of upcoming workshops and courses.
VESi Online Continuing Education Courses
VESi is committed to developing online education courses for professionals that are convenient, relevant, and affordable—at a pace that fits your schedule.
- Convenient because these interactive courses provide expert instruction at a pace that fits your schedule
- Relevant to the significant educational and social issues in today’s schools as well as to the requirements you need to meet for relicensure or career advancement
- Affordable because our format allows us to keep quality high and prices low
Workshops & Courses
View the VESi Website for courses, syllabi, tuition, and course descriptions. VESi courses are tablet compatible, making it easy for you to recertify anytime and anywhere you have reliable, stable online access.
REGISTER FOR COURSES
Special Note: These courses have open registration. If the registration is received after 3 p.m. PST, the course link will be emailed to you the next business day. The latest a student may enroll is July 10. The deadline to complete and submit all course work is no later than July 31.
What Teachers Have to Say About Study Smarts
JEREMY | President of Study Smarts
Whether you have been teaching or overseeing a school for one day or 30 years, it is easy to spot students who lack effective study skills. In this workshop, you will learn the top three concepts and skills that make for a successful student. We will also teach you how to incorporate these into your school so you can empower students to reach their potential while at the same time reduce your own stress!
1. Who is eligible to enroll in continuing education courses?
Anyone who has completed a bachelor’s degree is eligible to enroll in continuing education courses. Baker’s continuing education programs are designed for educators who seek additional graduate credit to meet state recertification requirements, increase knowledge in a particular subject area or enhance their earning power.
2. How do I register for classes?
Students must register online at least two weeks before a class starts because class sizes are limited. A confirmation letter is emailed following the receipt of registration. Baker University reserves the right to cancel a course because of insufficient enrollment.
3. What are the restrictions on enrollment?
Guidelines of excellence and quality indicate that success is better ensured by continuing education participants if they limit the number of credit hours of enrollment per academic session. A continuing education participant may make a written appeal to enroll in additional credit hours.
4. What is the refund policy?
- Refund of full tuition requires written notification of withdrawal received prior to the first class session of a course.
- A 90 percent refund requires written notification of withdrawal received prior to the second class session of a course.
- Withdrawal after the second class of a course results in no tuition refund.
5. Do credits earned through Continuing Education apply to a degree program now or later?
Graduate credit hours earned through continuing education may apply to a degree program. However, students are strongly encouraged to contact the university they will apply to and inquire about their transfer policies.