CONTINUING EDUCATION FOR EDUCATORS
Choose from professional development and recertification courses in diverse content areas on a variety of topics.
- Earn graduate credits to meet state recertification requirements.
- Increase knowledge in a particular subject area.
- Increase your classroom effectiveness.
- Enhance your earning power.
Take courses in Overland Park or online.
Continuing Education Partnerships
Baker’s School of Education partners with a variety of organizations to offer courses across the state and the greater Kansas City area.
EDUCATING WITH TECHNOLOGY
Gain the power to engage and inspire today’s tech-savvy students.
Continuing education courses for educators cover cloud productivity, social media, multimedia, and more:
- Investigate and evaluate free classroom management apps, web tools, and web-based collaborative productivity tools.
- Learn more about the Google tools developed specifically for educators.
- Create academically challenging games that enhance your curriculum.
- Create tablet-based lessons that foster digital collaboration.
- Create powerful presentations and virtual field trips.
- Explore digital storytelling and blogging.
- Use social media to improve lessons, find resources, collaborate, and communicate.
TUITION & FEES
|Technology fee||$10/credit hour|
Hi, I’m Tami, your main contact for continuing education and professional development courses. I work with educators who need to recertify or want to learn new skills for their classrooms but are nondegree seeking. As an educator myself, I enjoy helping teachers continue their education. I look forward to working with you!
ON CAMPUS, ONLINE, HYBRID
Take courses in Overland Park for face-to-face instruction and discussion. Or take courses online for maximum convenience. Hybrid courses use face-to-face instruction of course content complemented with online discussion.
REGISTER & START ANY TIME
Classes are held year-round; new courses start nearly every week. On-campus classes meet at night or on weekends. Day and evening courses are available in the summer.
FACULTY HAVE A PASSION FOR EDUCATION
All faculty are experienced educators and administrators, either currently working or recently retired. They care about the future of education and are driven to build effective leaders in the field.
CONTINUING EDUCATION PARTNERSHIPS
Teach Your Heart Out Bahamas | June 21-24, 2019
EDD 8408 Teach Your Heart Out Bahamas
Earn continuing education credits while you cruise the Bahamas!
Teach Your Heart Out provides teachers with innovative, life-changing, and one-of-a-kind professional development opportunities for teachers who aspire to create classrooms that promotes social emotional health, creativity, service learning, and positive classroom culture.
Location & Dates
Face-to-face in the Bahamas | June 21 – 24, 2019
Online | June 25 – July 12, 2019
Post-trip online coursework consists of a capstone reflection project of the lessons you experienced on the cruise and how you will apply them to your classroom in the fall.
Learn more about Teach Your Heart Out and register for the trip.
Baker University Graduate Credit Tuition
1 credit hour: $110
At the end of the course, you will be able to do the following:
- Apply new knowledge from pedagogical discussions
- Develop skills on promoting social emotional health in the classroom
- Design classroom experiences that are centered on the 21st century skills
- Cultivate higher-level thinking through questioning, academic discussion, and writing strategies
- Design personalized learning experiences for students using different modalities
- Innovation in best practices for technology integration
- Develop an action plan for implementing new skills
- Dyane Smokorowski, Instructional Tech Coach | 316.218.4600 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stacey Ryan, Instructional Tech Coach | 316.218.4600 email@example.com
- Micah Brown, Instructional Tech Coach | 316.218.4600 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Traci Holder, Principal Robert Martin Elementary | 316.218.4600 email@example.com
- Eric Crouch, Fifth-Grade Teacher | 706-992-8649 firstname.lastname@example.org
Voice-Overs...Now Is Your time | July 29, 2019
Voice-Overs…Now Is Your time
You’ve heard Will Kamp on TV and radio. Now hear Will live as he illustrates how you could begin using your speaking voice for commercials, films, and videos! Most people go about it the wrong way. Will is going to show you a unique, outside-the-box way to cash in on one of the most lucrative full-time or part-time careers our there. This is a business that you can handle on your own terms, on your own turf, in your own time, and with practically no overhead! And now is the best time to make this happen because new companies are looking for new voices like never before. This exciting and fun class could be the game changer you’ve been looking for. Will Kamp, a successful voice-over artist, actor, and comedy improv performer, has done voice work ranging from Honda radio commercials and on-camera work for nationally recognized TV stations, to having been nominated “Best Comedic Actor.”
Monday, July 29 | 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. | $59
7301 College Blvd., Suite 120,
Overland Park, KS 66210
Science City's ScienceWise Courses for Graduate Credit
Science City & Baker University
Baker University is a national graduate credit provider for Science City’s ScienceWise, which offers teachers, educators, and after-school providers two ways to complete high-quality, standards-based courses through fun and flexible professional development opportunities.
ScienceWise provides the course work, Baker University provides the graduate credit, and educators gain practical strategies, content and resources for the classroom.
Take Courses Online or at Union Station in Kansas City
Courses are offered year-round.
PreK-12 Course Work Areas
- Instructional Strategies
Check the ScienceWise website for information on upcoming courses.
- Each course has a registration fee and is payable to Science City.
- Graduate credit is $70 per credit hour and is payable to Baker University. (Once you enroll in the ScienceWise course, you have the option within the course to sign up for graduate credit.)
To Receive Baker University Graduate Credit
Enroll directly through ScienceWise to view course options at https://www.unionstation.org/sciencecity/sciencewise-courses-2018-2019 and follow the Baker University graduate credit link.
Once the course begins, students have the option to complete the Baker University online registration form to gain graduate college credit. If you don’t complete the Baker University registration form, you will not receive graduate credit. Upon completion of the course, ScienceWise will send final grades to Baker University to be posted on transcripts.
Please note: Students will be billed by ScienceWise and Baker University separately.
Learning Center in Haysville
The Learning Center in Haysville offers both on-ground and online workshops and courses for Baker credit.
Workshops & Courses
View the Learning Center in Haysville website for a calendar of upcoming workshops and courses.
Smoky Hill Education Service Center
Orion Education & Training (formerly South Central Kansas Education Service Center)
Orion Education and Training offers both online and on-ground professional development and courses for Baker credit.
Orion Education and Training offices and meeting facilities are located in Clearwater, Kansas, just a few miles southwest of Wichita.
Workshops & Courses
View the Orion Education and Training Website website for a calendar of upcoming workshops and courses.
VESi Online Continuing Education Courses
VESi is committed to developing online education courses for professionals that are convenient, relevant, and affordable—at a pace that fits your schedule.
- Convenient because these interactive courses provide expert instruction at a pace that fits your schedule
- Relevant to the significant educational and social issues in today’s schools as well as to the requirements you need to meet for relicensure or career advancement
- Affordable because our format allows us to keep quality high and prices low
Workshops & Courses
View the VESi Website for courses, syllabi, tuition, and course descriptions. VESi courses are tablet compatible, making it easy for you to recertify anytime and anywhere you have reliable, stable online access.
REGISTER FOR COURSES
Special Note: These courses have open registration. If the registration is received after 3 p.m. PST, the course link will be emailed to you the next business day. The latest a student may enroll is April 26. The deadline to complete and submit all course work is no later than May 10.
What Teachers Have to Say About Study Smarts
JEREMY | President of Study Smarts
Whether you have been teaching or overseeing a school for one day or 30 years, it is easy to spot students who lack effective study skills. In this workshop, you will learn the top three concepts and skills that make for a successful student. We will also teach you how to incorporate these into your school so you can empower students to reach their potential while at the same time reduce your own stress!
1. Who is eligible to enroll in continuing education courses?
Anyone who has completed a bachelor’s degree is eligible to enroll in continuing education courses. Baker’s continuing education programs are designed for educators who seek additional graduate credit to meet state recertification requirements, increase knowledge in a particular subject area or enhance their earning power.
2. How do I register for classes?
Students are encouraged to register at least two weeks before a class starts because class sizes are limited. A confirmation letter is emailed following the receipt of registration. Baker University reserves the right to cancel a course because of insufficient enrollment. Students may register by calling, faxing, or mailing in the registration form.
- Phone: 913.491.4432
- Fax: 913.491.0470
- Baker University
7301 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210
3. What are the restrictions on enrollment?
Guidelines of excellence and quality indicate that success is better ensured by continuing education participants if they limit the number of credit hours of enrollment per academic session. A continuing education participant may make a written appeal to enroll in additional credit hours.
4. What is the refund policy?
- Refund of full tuition requires written notification of withdrawal received prior to the first class session of a course.
- A 90 percent refund requires written notification of withdrawal received prior to the second class session of a course.
- Withdrawal after the second class of a course results in no tuition refund.
5. Do credits earned through Continuing Education apply to a degree program now or later?
Graduate credit hours earned through continuing education may apply to a degree program. However, students are strongly encouraged to contact the university they will apply to and inquire about their transfer policies.
P.O. Box 65 Baldwin City, KS 66006 785-594-6451