Student Veterans Organization (SVO)
A top military-friendly college
Baker’s Student Veterans Organization is open to all who have served in the United States military as well as spouses and dependents of military members.
Through building and maintaining a community of students, staff, faculty, and alumni, SVO is addressing the challenges associated with the transition from military service to being successful in the college experience. SVO also offers assistance to students currently in the Guard and Reserves to continue their military service while reaching the goal of earning a college degree.
The mission of the Student Veterans Organization at Baker University for all who have served in the United States military as well as spouses and dependents is to:
- build and maintain a community of students, staff, faculty, and alumni,
- address the challenges associated with the transition from military service to being successful in the college experience, and
- assist those students currently in the Guard/Reserves to continue their military service while reaching the goal of a college degree.
Officers for Student Veterans Organization
Thomas Denn, President
Marine Corps – Veteran
Army – National Guard
Jeremiah Lilly, Vice-President
Navy – Active Duty
Michael Hoeschele, Secretary/Treasurer
Army – National Guard
SALUTE | Veterans Honor Society
SALUTE is the first national honor society for student military and veterans and recognizes the academic success of student veterans.
- Recognizes four levels of achievement.
- Encourages students to strive to improve their GPAs and advance to higher levels.
- Each tier allows access to specific scholarships and funding as determined by the national office.
All students applying for membership must meet the following criteria:
- Be currently enrolled as a student
- Qualify as military/veteran student under locally derived and maintained definitions. Applicant must submit a DD-214 Member 4 copy that displays the character of service (honorable discharge). Applicants serving on active duty or in the Guard or Reserves must submit a copy of orders for their current duty assignment.
- Must have a minimum of a 3.00 GPA (GPAs may not be rounded).
- Alpha tier GPA: 3.75 – 4.00
- Bravo tier GPA: 3.50 – 3.74
- Charlie tier GPA: 3.25 – 3.49
- Delta tier GPA: 3.00 – 3.24
- Have served or currently serving in the military, National Guard, or Reserves (If no longer serving, must have been honorably discharged from service)
- Maintain the highest ethical standards
A one-time, nonrefundable, $35 lifetime membership fee is due at the time of initial application.
Checks must be made payable to SALUTE National Honor Society. The majority of these membership fees go toward scholarships for student veterans across the nation attending schools that participate in SALUTE.