International Students

Baker University College of Arts & Sciences

A Place to Call Home

Baker students form a small community where most students live in a residence hall or a campus apartment or in a Greek house. And with more than 75 student activities and organizations from which to choose, you'll have no trouble finding something that is right for you.

Academic Programs

  • Choose from more than 40 degrees and majors.
  • An average class size of 13 students allows plenty of interaction with professors and classmates.
  • Faculty's main responsibility is teaching, not research, and they hold extensive office hours.
  • The academic year consists of two semesters, plus a three-week Interterm in January, when students enroll in one class or participate in an internship. Two five-week summer sessions are held.
  • To complete a bachelor’s degree, you must complete 132 semester hours with a grade point average of at least 2.0 (C).




Student Services

Admission Requirements for International Students

Admission to the University is based on your grade point average and the type of courses you took in high school. Baker University will attempt to internally evaluate all submitted international credentials and thus encourages submission of materials directly to the Office of Admissions. In some cases, Baker may require that the international credentials be sent for an evaluation to Educational Credential Evaluators.

To be admitted to the University, non-native speakers of English must earn one of the following scores on either the TOEFL or IELTS:

Minimum TOEFL Score

  • 525 on the paper-and-pencil test
  • 195 on the computer-based test
  • 70 on the IBT test

IELTS Overall Band

  • Minimum score of 6

As soon as you are admitted to a degree program, we will send you an I-20 form to obtain a visa for entry to the United States.

Credentials Required for Admission Consideration

Please send the following information to the Office of Admissions:

  • Secondary school transcripts and all college transcripts
  • Standardized test scores:
    • English-speaking countries: ACT or SAT scores
    • Non-English-speaking countries: TOEFL and/or IELTS result
  • Certified bank statement indicating that you have financial support (contact the Admissions Office for more information)


View a list of tuition, fees and housing costs.

Full-time undergraduate students should plan to spend up to $800 per semester for books and supplies. Summer school charges are in addition to the amounts listed above.

International students are required to have health insurance. The cost this year is $639.

Financial Aid

By completing the international student application for admission you are also applying for financial aid. International students are eligible for four types of financial aid from the University:

  • Academic Scholarships ranging from $5,000 to $10,000 per year are given based on academic achievement. You must submit official academic transcripts plus TOEFL or SAT or ACT test scores to be considered for the scholarship.
  • Students with exceptional ability in sports, music, forensics, journalism, theater, radio and TV, or art are eligible to audition or apply for a Participation Award. Participation Awards are competitive and are awarded by the coach or activity sponsor.
  • Once you are attending classes as a full-time student, you may apply for a campus job. Job placement is not guaranteed.

In addition to assistance from the University, the Baldwin City Rotary Club awards $1,000 each year to international students studying at Baker. Students apply for this after they are enrolled at the University.

Arrangements to Pay Fees

Students must pay tuition and fees during the first week of classes. The best way to do this is to bring travelers checks in U.S. dollars. You may also open a checking account at a local bank after arriving in Baldwin City and have money wired to that account from the your bank in your home country. We strongly recommended that you carry no more than $200 to $300 in cash when you travel to the United States. All other money should be in the form of travelers checks.