Veterans Education Benefits

Baker is one of America’s top military-friendly colleges and universities according to Military Advanced Education magazine.


The VA certifying official serves students using VA education benefits through the following programs in conjunction with their enrollment at Baker University:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (CH.33)
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty (CH.30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve (Ch. 1606)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (CH. 1607)
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (CH. 35)
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation (CH. 31)

Find out which program is best for you.

VA Resources
  • Answers to questions about your VA education benefits | GI Bill website or 1.888.442.4551
  • Sign up or change your direct deposit information | 1.877.838.2778
  • VA Debt Management Center | 1.800.827.0648


As a part of the Registrar’s Office, not a division of the Department of Veterans Affairs, I am your liaison between Baker University and the Department of Veterans Affairs. I will help you process the VA forms required for educational benefits and certify your enrollment at Baker University to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

JESSE CARDENS | 913.344.1256 | Fax 913.491.0470

Enrollment & Certification

To use your VA education benefits, you must first enroll in courses at Baker University and then be certified by the VA certifying official.

Follow the steps below that apply to you:

New or Transfer Students

Follow These Steps

  1. Go to the GI Bill Comparison Tool to calculate your benefits and research approved programs.
  2. Apply to the VA to establish your eligibility for education benefits. Once the VA has processed your application, you will receive notification stating what you are eligible for.
  3. Apply to Baker University.
  4. Submit the Military Supporting Documentation form.  
  5. Submit the Enrollment Certification Request for VA Education Benefits form.

When your enrollment is certified to the VA, you will receive an email confirmation of receipt from the VA.

Eligibility & Rate of Pursuit

  • Baker University does not determine your eligibility; VA officials determine the type and amount of benefits for which you may qualify.
  • Baker University does not determine the rate of pursuit for undergraduate students; VA officials do.
  • Baker University does, however, determine the rate of pursuit for graduate students based on VA-approved calculations. For an estimate of what your rate of pursuit will be, enter the dates of your nonstandard terms in this credit hour equivalency form.
Students Using CH. 30, CH. 1606, or CH. 1607

Verifying Attendance to the VA

Attendance Verification Requirement

Students using the following programs must report school attendance to the VA on the last day of each month in order to receive payment.

  • Montgomery GI Bill – Active Duty | CH.30
  • Montgomery GI Bill – Selected Reserve | Ch. 1606
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program | CH. 1607

Verify attendance online or call 1.877.823.2378.

No Attendance Verification Requirement

You are not required to verify monthly attendance if you are using one of the following programs:

  • Post 9/11 GI Bill (CH.33)
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (CH. 35)
  • VA Vocational Rehabilitation (CH. 31)
Students Who Have Changed Their Schedule

Schedule Changes for Current Students

The following changes to your schedule must be reported to the VA:

  • Add or drop courses
  • Change cohorts (SPGS/GSOE students)
  • Withdraw from Baker

Changes in enrollment can result in an overpayment that will be determined by the VA.

All VA students who make a schedule change must complete the
pdf Schedule Change form.

This is in addition to all other enrollment change or withdrawal policies and processes in place at Baker University.

Students Who Receive VA Education Benefit Payments

VA Education Payments

If you received VA education benefits, the VA will determine your payment rate based on the following:

  • Type of benefit for which you are eligible
  • Length of enrollment period
  • How many hours you are enrolled in

Basic Rates of Pay | CH. 30, CH. 1606, CH. 1607,  CH. 35

View the basic payment rates. These do not include kickers, buy-up or additional programs.

Basic Rates of Pay | CH. 33

Under CH. 33 you will receive the following:

  1. A tuition and fees payment (paid directly to Baker University) not to exceed $20,235.02 per academic year beginning on August 1.
  2. An annual book stipend of up to $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment.
  3. Baker participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Students who are using CH.33 benefits may qualify for $1,000 to $4,000 per year in Yellow Ribbon benefits.
  4. A monthly housing allowance based on the basic allowance for housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. Determine the BAH for your ZIP code. Choose one of the following ZIP codes depending on the campus you are enrolled at:
    ZIP Code 66210

      • Overland Park
      • Topeka (SPGS/Graduate SOE)
      • Wichita
      • Online

    ZIP code 64153 | Kansas City, Mo., Lee’s Summit
    ZIP code 66006 | Topeka (School of Nursing), Baldwin City

CH. 33 and CH. 31 pay tuition and fees directly to Baker University. Get more information about benefit comparisons.

Payment Guidelines

  • It can take the VA several weeks to process your initial application and up to 10 weeks to process enrollment certifications.
  • Generally, the VA education benefit payments are made at the end of each month you attend school.
    For example, if classes start in August and your certification has been completely processed by the VA, the payment for that month will be received in the first 10 days of September.
  • The VA pays you for attendance in class.
    If you stop attending a class and do not officially withdraw from it and receive a failing grade, Baker University is required to report this information along with the last day of attendance in that class to the VA. The VA will consider this a reduction in enrollment and charge an overpayment against your VA education benefits.

Other Military & Veteran Funding Sources

School of Professional & Graduate Studies Military Discount

SPGS Military Discount

Baker is one of America’s Top Military-Friendly Colleges and Universities according to Military Advanced Education magazine.

Baker offers a tuition discount to students enrolled in a degree program at the School of Professional and Graduate Studies.

  • Students who are active duty, in the Reserves or National Guard can qualify for a flat tuition rate of $250 per credit hour.
    • Submit a copy of current orders or a letter from a commanding officer verifying status to the VA certifying official.
  • Spouses of service members who are active duty, in the Reserves or National Guard can qualify for a 25% reduction of the standard tuition rate.
    • Submit a copy of the spouse’s current orders or a letter from a commanding officer verifying status to the VA certifying official.
  • Students who are veterans can qualify for a 10% reduction of the standard tuition rate.
    • Submit a copy of a DD-214 to the VA certifying official.
Tuition Assistance

If you are using tuition assistance through the military, you must submit an approved TA authorization form to your Baker University accounting representative on or before the payment deadline for each course.

If your education service officer requests a signed program plan of study, contact the VA certifying official to obtain this document: Jesse Cardens
913.344.1256 | Fax 913.491.0470

Each branch of service has its own rules and methods of applying for tuition assistance. Contact your unit for application assistance.

Request Tuition Assistance Through GoArmyEd

View the PowerPoint tutorial and learn how.

Kansas National Guard Tuition Assistance Deadlines

  • Spring courses: application must be submitted by the third Friday in February
  • Fall courses:  application must be submitted by the third Friday in September
  • Summer courses: The program does not pay for courses taken during the summer.

Reserve Officers Training Corps

Baker University maintains reciprocal programs with the University of Kansas Army and Air Force ROTC detachments. Baker students may enroll in ROTC courses taught at the University of Kansas and receive Baker credit for them.

  • Incur no service obligation for enrollment in lower-college-level ROTC courses
  • Continue to complete upper-college courses
  • Receive a commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army or Air Force Reserve

To earn Baker credit for ROTC coursework, send an official transcript to the Baker University Office of the Registrar:

College of Arts & Sciences | School of Education (undergradaute) | School of Nursing

Baker University
Office of the Registrar
P.O. Box 65
Baldwin City, KS 66006

School of Professional & Graduate Studies | School of Education (graduate)

Baker University
Office of the Registrar
7301 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210

Prior Military Training Credit

We accept American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations for military education and training offered by the military service branches. The first step is to get an official transcript of your military training. In the event that you do not qualify for a transcript, we can evaluate your military records for possible credit.

1. Where should I send official copies of military transcripts or military training documentation?
Please request that your official transcript be sent directly to Baker University at the following address:

Baker University | School of Professional & Graduate Studies
7301 College Blvd.
Overland Park, KS 66210

Baker University | College of Arts & Sciences
Office of Admissions
PO Box 65
Baldwin City, KS 66006

Baker University | School of Nursing
Pozez Education Center
1505 SW Eighth Ave.
Topeka, KS 66606

2. How do I get my Army, Coast Guard, Marine, or Navy transcript?
JST is the Joint Services Transcript that has replaced the Coast Guard Institute Transcript, the Army/American Council Transcript (AARTS) and the Sailor/Marine American Council on Education Registry Transcript (SMART). JST is an academically accepted document approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) to validate a service member’s military occupational experience and training along with the corresponding ACE college credit recommendations.

To learn more about the JST and to request your official transcript be sent to Baker University, visit

We cannot accept personal copies of transcripts for credit transfer purposes. The JST makes your official transcript available for retrieval by Baker’s designated official.

3. What if I don’t qualify for a transcript?
If you don’t qualify for a transcript we may still be able to evaluate your military training for college credit. In this instance, we can use copies of your military training records to assess the value of your courses. Your DD Form 214 (Discharge Certificate) may contain useful information that will aid us in determining your credit award. Please forward a copy of your records to the PLA Center for evaluation.

If you have misplaced your military records, duplicate copies may be requested directly from the National Personnel Records Center by completing a Standard Form 180:

The completed form must be mailed or FAXED to:

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
FAX: 314.801.9195

Additional information is available at


Jesse Cardens, Certifying Official
Veterans Education Benefits
913.344.1256 | fax: 913.491.0470