Student Counseling Center & Student Health Services

Student Counseling Center

The Student Counseling Center offers individual, group, and couples counseling on a variety of subjects. Counselors also host regular programs on the Baldwin City campus, dealing with issues such as depression, anxiety, stress management, relaxation, eating disorders, athletic performance, suicide, and drug and alcohol abuse.

519 Grove St. | The yellow brick house at the corner of Sixth and Grove.

Monday – Friday
Clinic: 9 a.m. – noon; 1 – 4 p.m.
By appointment: 785.594.8409

More About Student Counseling Center

Student Health Services

Students receive health services at Family Medicine of Baldwin City, 785.594.2512.

Monday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m
Tuesday: 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Wednesday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Thursday: 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

More About Student Health Service & Walk-In Clinic Hours

pdf Flu Prevention Resource Sheet


Family Medicine of Baldwin City | 406 Ames St. (three blocks from campus)


Students may choose to receive health services locally at Family Medicine of Baldwin City. Family Medicine of Baldwin City is associated with Lawrence Memorial Hospital. These services are at the student’s expense. Financial assistance plans are available through Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Family Medicine of Baldwin City provides a range of medical professionals: doctors, nurse practitioners, phlebotomist, and nursing staff. The clinic also offers X-ray and laboratory capabilities. The clinic offers 12 same-day appointments for the Baldwin City community, or students may schedule for a future date. Same-day appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis, beginning at the clinic’s opening.

Walk-In Clinic | Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday 1:30-3:30 p.m.

Last patient needs to be checked in at 3:30. To be seen, please bring your photo ID and insurance card.

 The Walk-In Clinic can assist with the following:

  • Sore throat
  • Ear aches
  • Upper-respiratory infections
  • Flulike symptoms
  • Eye irritation and redness
  • Urinary symptoms
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Minor to moderate asthma issues
  • Immunizations
  • Minor strains and sprains
  • Skin infections and rashes
  • STD testing and screening

 If you have more than one issue or an issue that is not on this list, you may be asked to make an appointment. 

Immunizations Policy

Required Immunizations

Baker University requires students, regardless of age, to submit a copy of their updated immunization records. This documentation can be a personal immunization record signed by a health care provider, a physician or clinic report stating all immunization records, or a copy of school immunization records. Students who are unable to verify their immunization history must be re-immunized::

  1. MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) immunization. Two doses required at least 28 days apart for students born after 1956.
  2. Varicella (Varicella-zoster virus or chickenpox). At least one dose is required. Two doses are recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
  3. Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, and Pertussis) immunization booster within the last 10 years.
  4. Meningitis (MCV4 or ACWY) immunization. Two doses of MCV4 or ACWY are recommended. If the first dose is given before the 16th birthday, then a booster is required. Meningitis B is recommended but not required.
  5. Polio series completed. Primary series, doses at least 28 days apart. Three primary series are acceptable.
  6. Completion of the TB (tuberculosis) screening questionnaire (see health history form). If further testing is deemed necessary, the Office of the Dean of Students will notify the student via university email. The student will have until October 1 to have testing completed.
  7. ALL NEW INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS coming to Baker University are required to provide documentation of the results of a TB skin test before moving into campus housing. If a student tests positive, the student is required to have a Quantiferon Gold TB blood test and provide documentation. The Quantiferon Gold test can be ordered and completed at Family Medicine of Baldwin City for a fee if it has not been completed or documentation is not available from the home country. A chest X-ray is required for students with a positive Quantiferon test. If the student has received treatment for tuberculosis, documentation of treatment is required.
Proof of Immunization

Students are required to submit one of the following as proof of immunization:

  • A personal immunization record signed by a health care provider
  • A physician or clinic report stating all immunization records or blood titers
  • A copy of school immunization record

A waiver can be signed for religious/philosophical exemption. If the waiver is signed, a student will be informed that in the case of an outbreak of disease such as measles, mumps, rubella, and meningitis, the student must leave campus temporarily. Once the threat of the disease is over, the student will be allowed to return to campus.

Noncompliance Action

Compliance is managed by the Office of the Dean of Students and is strictly enforced. In the absence of required immunization documentation, the following actions may be in order:

  • All students who do not complete this requirement:
    • Will have five calendar days from the first date of classes to produce records or receive new immunizations.
    • After this date, the student will have an academic HOLD placed on his or her account. With this hold in place, the student is restricted from using major functions of the Office of the Registrar (e.g., prohibited from preenrollment activities).
    • Staff of the Office of the Dean of Students will remove the hold when it has been determined that the student has met compliance standards.
  • Residential students who do not complete this requirement:
    • Will have five calendar days from the date of move-in to produce records or receive new immunizations.
    • After this date, students may be required to leave university housing with no refund.
    • Students may return upon proof of required immunizations.

Immunization Documentation Deadlines

Fall | August 1
Interterm | December 1
Spring | January 1
Or within two weeks of admission to the university, whichever is latest

Residential students are required to submit the online immunization records form before moving into university-owned housing.

Additional Paperwork for Athletes

All athletes must complete an additional physical by a medical doctor before being allowed to participate in their sport. The form is available on the Sports Medicine pages of the Baker University athletic website.

Health Insurance

A voluntary health insurance plan is available, through the Office of Human Resources. Students who are not covered by their parents’ health insurance are encouraged to enroll. Insurance coverage is mandatory for international students and student-athletes.

Missed Class Because of Illness

If it is necessary to miss class because of injury or illness, it is the student’s responsibility to contact his or her professors. It is at the discretion of the professor whether to grant an excused absence. Absences of more than three consecutive days should be reported to the Office of Student Affairs.

After Hours

Students who live in a residence hall and become ill in the evening or on a weekend should contact residence hall staff. For nonemergency care, students can be seen at pdf area medical facilities at the student’s expense. If immediate emergency care is needed, dial 911 for Douglas County Sheriff’s Emergency Service, 24 hours a day.


Tim Hodges

Tim Hodges, PsyD

Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Counseling Center Director

Sherri Pahcoddy

Sherri Pahcoddy

Counseling Center Coordinator

The Baker University Counseling Center strives to promote the health and well-being of the entire Baldwin City campus community. In addition to one-on-one and group counseling, the clinic staff offers a variety of programs throughout the year for students, faculty and staff.


The mission of the Baker University Health Center is to promote wellness and maximize on students’ strengths to ensure success. Counseling services further seeks to promote the health and well-being of the Baldwin City campus community as a whole. This is accomplished by providing mental health services, outreach, and educational opportunities and by fostering collaborative relationships across the university as a whole.


Our services are confidential as governed by the State of Kansas. All counseling records are kept separate from all academic, administrative, disciplinary and medical records. No information about a student’s contact with Counseling Services is released without the knowledge and written consent of the student. Exceptions to this rule occur only in the circumstances outlined below.

We are allowed to break confidentiality in the following circumstances:

  • A client presents a serious threat of violence to another.
  • There is reasonable suspicion of child-, elder-, or adult dependent-abuse.
  • We are ordered to release records by a court order.
  • A client presents a threat of harm to her or himself in order to protect her or his safety.
Counseling Services for Students

Individual counseling is available to all currently enrolled Baker students to help them deal with a wide variety of concerns including homesickness, roommate issues, dating problems, stress management, depression, anxiety, substance use concerns, eating disorders and suicidal feelings. See the FAQ section for additional information regarding what happens when a student comes to Counseling Services for a first session.

Couples counseling is also available, as long as one of the partners in the couple is a currently enrolled Baker student. Couples can be married or dating, heterosexual or homosexual. If you have a concern about a significant aspect of your relationship, feel free to bring your partner with you to the session so both of you can discuss your concerns with your counselor.

Group counseling consists of meetings of groups of students on campus (typically linked by a campus-related organization) who share a similar concern. Similarly, groups on campus may use the Counseling Center to explore issues that arise in their group.

Consultation takes place in a variety of ways. One example of consultation occurs when a student comes to Counseling Services to ask for information about a specific topic area in psychology or to seek advice regarding how to be helpful to a friend in need. In addition, a campus organization or group may ask a Counseling Center psychologist to present on a specific topic of relevance for their group. For example, a sorority may be interested in having a member of the Counseling Center staff present on relaxation and stress management.

Counseling Referral Practices

Baker University Counseling Center provides psychological evaluation and limited treatment of some emotional problems. Because of limitation of staff and appropriate facilities, the Counseling Center cannot offer comprehensive mental health services. If our counseling services are not the most appropriate for meeting a student’s needs, referrals to other resources within the local community will be made.

Guidelines for Determining When to Make a Referral

These guidelines can be used to determine which students have needs best met by services other than those of the Baker University Counseling Center.

  • Students with long histories of psychiatric difficulty of more than moderate severity or a history of multiple psychiatric hospitalizations
  • Students with history of suicide attempt(s) with intended serious self-harm
  • Students with chronic and/or present self-destructive behaviors that are life threatening
  • Students manifesting psychosis
  • Students with diagnosis of schizophrenia, schizoaffective or schizophreniform disorder
  • Students with newly diagnosed bipolar affective illness, unstable bipolar illness or a history of treatment noncompliance
  • Students in need of or likely to have a need for care that cannot be provided in an outpatient setting (e.g., hospitalization) or will not be maintaining self in school (i.e., therapy will need to be of such duration that it is not feasible within the confines of Baker University Counseling Center)
  • History of impulsive, serious risk taking, or dangerous behavior
  • Severe alcoholism and/or drug abuse for which a student refuses appropriate treatment

After-Hours Emergency Contacts


Headquarters 24-hour hotline: 785.841.2345

Bert Nash Mental Health Center: 785.843.9192

National suicide hotline: 800.273.8255

Free Health & Wellness Apps

Self-help like you’ve never seen before—try some apps with that!

iP = iPhone, A = Android, M = Mac, Win = Windows, W = Website

These apps provide information on a variety of topics related to psychology and personal growth and are provided for educational purposes. The professional staff at the Counseling Services believes that this information can be useful and helpful. Please keep in mind the following:

  • We are not specifically endorsing any of the apps.
  • Self-help materials such as apps may not be effective in addressing more-complex issues.
  • In the case a mental health emergency, we recommend that you seek assistance immediately.

The sites linked here are not under the control of the Counseling Center. However, all links were verified to be working as of June 2019; if you encounter a broken link or would like to suggest a new app to include here, please contact

Stress, Relaxation, & Meditation
  • Aura – Offers three-minute “micro” meditations, a gratitude journal, mood tracking, 30-second “mindful breathers,” and more. (iP, A)
  • Insight Timer – Versatile free app that offers timed meditations of any length or a selection of thousands of guided meditations with various themes. (iP, A)
  • Moving Forward – Assists with managing stress by teaching problem solving. It is especially helpful for maintaining a work–life balance. (iP)
  • Breathe 2 Relax – Basic app that teaches diaphragmatic breathing, or belly breathing. (iP, A)
  • Stop, Breathe & Think – This app recommends meditations for you based on how you are currently feeling, both physically and mentally. (iP, A, W)
  • Smiling Mind – This meditation app is designed by psychologists and offers programs for adults, sports, and classroom. (iP, A, W)
  • Calm – In addition to the app, a website offers guided meditations of 2, 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes as well as simple timed sessions of the same lengths. (iP, A, W)
  • Mindfulness Coach – Offers exercises for practicing and increasing mindfulness, an awareness of the present moment, which has been shown to decrease stress. (iP)
  • Colorify – A coloring book for adults to destress and relax. (iP, A)
Mood Tracking, Depression, and Anxiety
  • Daylio – Provides a simple microjournal with mood-tracking abilities. Simple graphics allow recording of moods and activities during the day. (iP, A)
  • T2 Mood Tracker – Assists with tracking emotional health on various scales, including anxiety, stress, depression, and general well-being. Users can also create custom scales. (iP, A)
  • Mindshift – Specifically designed to provide young adults with tools for managing various types of anxiety, including test anxiety, perfectionism, social anxiety, performance anxiety, worry, panic, and conflict. (iP, A)
  • SAM: Self-help for Anxiety Management – Offers options for tracking anxiety, identifying anxiety triggers, teaching breathing and relaxation strategies, and developing an anxiety-management toolkit. (iP, A)
  • Pacifica – Based on cognitive behavior therapy and meditation, offers daily tools for stress and anxiety plus a supportive community. (iP, A, W)
  • PTSD Coach – This app, designed for those with posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), assists with managing symptoms that affect daily life. It includes specific coping techniques such as monitoring distress, engaging in positive imagery, and developing anger management techniques. (iP,A)
Suicide Prevention
  • A Friend Asks – This app offers tips for getting help for a friend (or yourself). Helpful information includes what to do RIGHT NOW as well as what NOT to do. (iP, A)
  • ReliefLink – This award-winning suicide prevention app assists users with tracking daily mood and thoughts, creating a safety plan, locating the nearest hospitals, and obtaining quick access to coping methods. (iP)
Eating Disorders
  • Rise Up + Recover: An Eating Disorder Monitoring and Management Tool – Allows users to log meals, rate moods, and note coping strategies. (iP)
  • Recovery Record – Designed for those in recovery from an eating disorder to offer assistance for every state of recovery, including progress trackers, meal logs and meal plans, coping skills, and affirmations. If you are in treatment, there is also a website with collaborating information to share with your mental health provider. (iP, A)
Alcohol & Other Drug Use
  • Saying When – This app is a self-help program for taking charge of your drinking, either cutting back or quitting altogether. It helps users monitor when and how much they are drinking, including tracking alcohol consumption and estimating BAC levels over time. (iP, A)
  • – This is a simple tool for monitoring your BAC levels. (iP, A)
  • My Quit Coach – From, this app helps users create a personalized plan to quit smoking. It tracks cravings, offers progress reports, and provides community support. (iP)
Other Mental Health
  • Circle of 6 ­­– Designed for college students, Circle of 6 is a personal safety app that allows users to easily stay connect to their friends. Two simple taps on the phone connects users to their “circle” or to national hotlines. (iP, A)
  • CBT-i Coach – This app is great for users working with a therapist on insomnia issues, but it can be used by anyone who is looking to improve sleep habits. It includes a sleep diary, reminders, and specific “tools” for improving sleep. (iP)
  • Therapy Buddy – Designed for those who are already in counseling, this app can enhance your treatment by allowing you to make a list of things to bring up in session, to write a “helpful takeaway” of each session, to keep track of homework, and so on. (iP, A)
General-Health Related
  • Fooducate – This nutrition-based app allows users to track food intake, including not only calories but also nutrients, degree to which food has been processed, etc. There is also a scan feature to find healthy food at the grocery store. (iP, A)
  • Plant Nanny – A fun way to remind you to increase your water intake! Chose a plant and “water” it each time you drink. (iP, A, Win)
  • Fitbit – The Fitbit app tracks workouts, activity (daily steps and distance), and food intake. It also allows users to set goals, compete with friends, and sync wirelessly.  (iP, A)
  • Clue – Clue helps women accurately predict their next period. Users can track their own unique cycle, including obtaining information on PMS and mood swings. It’s confident, scientific, and not pink. (iP, A)
  • TracknShare LITE – TracknShare is an all-purpose tracking app that allows users to monitor virtually anything, from preset categories (health, mood, sleep, food, gratitude), to other items of your choosing, such as grades, stress, exercise, or weather. (iP)
  • Alarm Clock Sleep Sounds – More than just an alarm clock, this app offers guided meditations to assist with sleep, custom alarm wake-up sounds, nighttime themes, and various brainwave beat options. (iP)
  • Rainsounds HQ – This collection of over 70 rain sounds from around the world is a natural way to help facilitate sleep. (iP)
Improving Organization & Productivity
  • in Class – This multipurpose app allows users to organize schedules, take and share notes, and plan for tasks that are due. (iP)
  • 30/30 – The goal of this app is to improve time management and enhance performance through decreasing multitasking. It helps users to set up tasks lists, with specific times designated for each task. (iP)
  • Wunderlist – The ultimate to-do list, Wunderlist allows users to share lists, to sync lists with all devices, to add notes, to set due dates, to turn emails into actions, and more. (iP, A)
  • Brainscape – This app is designed for finding, creating, and sharing effective, high-quality flashcards. (iP)

Counseling Center FAQ

What does the Counseling Center offer?

We offer a variety of services. Most students are seen in individual psychotherapy/counseling, although couple and group therapy sessions are available when appropriate. We offer consultation to those who have concerns about a friend of family member.

Does it cost anything to use Counseling Services?

There is no charge to Baker students who use the Counseling Services. The student fees you pay cover the cost.

Who knows about my visits to Counseling Services?

Counseling is a confidential experience between you and your counselor. This means that what is said in your sessions will remain private. Kansas state law mandates us to keep your communications private except in certain situations. If we hear about a child, an elderly person, or a dependent adult being hurt or abused, we must make a report to the state. Another time we breach confidentiality is when we are mandated to release records as a function of a court order. And finally, we may breach confidentiality if we have concerns about a client hurting her/himself or someone else. Your therapist will review these special exceptions to confidentiality with you during your first session.

How many times will I meet with a counselor?

Everyone’s concerns are unique. Sometimes there are quick solutions, at other times the process can be slower due to the complexity of the factors that have influenced the problem. In general, we operate on a brief psychotherapy model. If you want to continue with long term counseling we will work with you to make a referral to a counselor in the Lawrence/Kansas City community or your home community, whichever is most appropriate.

Who can make use of Counseling Services?

Anyone who is currently enrolled as an undergraduate student on the Baldwin City campus is eligible for services here.

What will happen when I go to Counseling Services?

If you are new to Counseling Services or have not seen a therapist in over a year, you will be asked to fill out some paperwork before your first session. After the paperwork is done, your therapist will ask for more information about what brings you to counseling at this time. You are free to speak as openly as you wish about your concerns.

Will you share information about my counseling sessions with my parents?

No, we will not share information with your parents or even acknowledge that you have been here unless you give us written permission to do so. The exception to this is if you are under 18, in which case your parents must provide consent for your treatment here.

How do I make an appointment?

You can schedule a time to meet with a counselor by calling 785.594.8409 or by stopping by the Center in person.

What do people talk about in counseling?

Students present to counseling with a variety of concerns, including but not limited to, homesickness, roommate issues, dating problems, stress management, depression, anxiety, substance use concerns, eating disorders, and suicidal feelings. No problem is too big or too small to bring to counseling.

Do you prescribe medications?

No, only a psychiatrist or physician can prescribe medications. However, our staff can help evaluate your need for a medication consultation and make a referral to our Health Center or a community Health Services provider when appropriate.

Information for Faculty & Staff

Helping Students in Distress: Tips for Faculty & Staff

Mental health problems among college students are on the rise. As a faculty or staff member, you are in a unique position to notice.

At one time or another, everyone feels depressed or upset. However, some warning signs, when present over a period of time, suggest that the problems are more than the “normal” ones.

Signs of Distress

  • Serious grade problems
  • Unaccountable change from good to poor performance
  • Change from frequent attendance to excessive absences
  • Change in pattern of interaction
  • Marked change in mood
  • Marked change in physical appearance
  • Repeated request for special consideration
  • New or regularly occurring behavior that pushes the limits and may interfere with class management
  • Unusual or exaggerated emotional response
  • Highly disruptive behavior, e.g., hostility, aggression
  • Inability to communicate clearly, e.g., garbled, slurred speech, disjointed thoughts
  • Loss of contact with reality, e.g. seeing or hearing things that are not there, belief or actions at odds with reality
  • Overt suicidal or homicidal thoughts

When to Refer

  • When student problems are outside of your competence area
  • When student is using you as a resource beyond what is “normal” for you
  • When you feel uncomfortable
  • When you need to protect yourself

Tips for Making a Referral

  • Talk to the student in private, expressing concern in non-judgmental terms.
  • Let the student know about the resources available to him or her.
  • Provide information to the student about the Baker Counseling Center.
  • If need be, call the Counseling Center with the student.
  • Continue to be supportive of the student, but not be a therapist to the student.
Education & Outreach for Faculty & Staff

Please call Counseling Services if you’d like us to present a topic of special interest to your residence hall, class, or campus organization. As an educational institution, we see the value of prevention and outreach activities. Such activities have included educational and training programs, workshops with a variety of offices on campus, organizational development, and consultation.

Educational presentations may address such topics as lifestyle wellness, stress management, depression, suicidality, acquaintance rape, gay and lesbian issues, leadership training and eating disorders. Unique presentation can be created depending on the desired topic.

785.594.8409 or 785.594.8365

Information for Parents

Perhaps your son or daughter has recently started counseling at our Center or you believe they would benefit from seeking counseling. Below is information about Counseling Services we hope will be helpful.

What does Counseling Services provide?

Everyone’s concerns are unique. Sometimes there are quick solutions, at other times the process can be slower due to the complexity of the factors that have influenced the problem. In general, we operate on a brief psychotherapy model. If you want to continue with long term counseling we will work with you to make a referral to a counselor in the Lawrence/Kansas City community or your home community, whichever is most appropriate.

My child is under 18 years of age. Does that make a difference?

If your child is under 18 years of age and seeks counseling in Counseling Services, you will be asked to sign the consent for treatment form. Students who are minors may be seen one time before having the consent form signed.

I’m worried my child might have an eating disorder. What should I do?

We will be happy to meet with your son or daughter to assess their concern and make treatment recommendations. You should be aware that in most cases, given the severity of many eating disorders and the need for longer-term treatment, we will most likely make a referral for counseling to the community. Eating disorders are generally best treated with a comprehensive team approach that at a minimum includes a therapist, nutritionist, and physician or other health-care providers.

Can the counselor talk to me about my son or daughter?

Our services are confidential, as governed by the laws of the State of Kansas. If your child is 18 years of age or older, he or she “holds the privilege.” This means we require a signed Release of Information before responding to a request for information about your son or daughter—whether or not they have been seen at the Baker Counseling Center.

How can my child make an appointment?

Students may make an appointment by calling 785.594.8409 or stopping by our office. We are open from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and located in the Health Center at 519 Grove Street. Please be aware we require that students schedule their own appointments.

Readings & Resources


Transition to College: Separation and Change for Parents and Students
College Parents of America


Empty Nest. . .Full Heart: The Journey from Home to College, Andrea Van Steenhouse (2002).

Letting Go: A Parents’ Guide to Understanding the College Years, Karen Levin Coburn, Madge Lawrence Treeger (2003).

Helping Your Student

A Parent’s Guide to Sex, Drugs, and Flunking Out: Answers to the Questions Your College Student Doesn’t Want You to Ask, Joel Epstein (2001).

You’re On Your Own (But I’m Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years, Marjorie Savage (2003).

For Students & Parents

College Rules! How to Study, Survive and Succeed in College, Sherrie L. Nist, Jodi Patrick Holschuh, Sherrie Nist (2002).

The Ultimate College Survival Guide, Janet Farrar Worthington, Ronald Farrar (1995).

Chicken Soup for the College Soul: Inspiring and Humorous Stories About College, Mark Victor Hansen, Kimberly Kirberger, Dan Clark, Jack Canfield (1999).

Bibliography Notes on Transition

College Of The Overwhelmed: The Campus Mental Health Crisis And What To Do About It by Richard Kadison, M.D. & Theresa Foy DiGeronimo, 2004.

Don’t Tell Me What To Do, Just Send Money by E. Johnson & Christine Schelhas-Miller, 2000.

How To Survive And Thrive In An Empty Nest: Reclaiming Your Life When Your Children Have Grown by Robert H. Lauer, 1999.

When Your Kid Goes To College: A Parent’s Survival Guide by Carol Barkin, 1999.

Almost Grown: Launching Your Child From High School To College by Patrick Pasick, 1998.

Empty Nest, Full Heart: The Journey From Home To College by Andrea Van Steenhouse & Johanna Parker, 1998.

Letting Go: A Parent’s Guide To Understanding The College Years by Karen Levin Coburn, 1997.


Tim Hodges, PsyD
Licensed Clinical Psychologist
Counseling Center Director

Counseling Center Location
519 Grove Street
(yellow brick house
at the corner of Sixth and Grove)

Sherri Pahcoddy
Counseling Center Coordinator

Pin It on Pinterest