Unique & Innovative
Learn how to harness instructional design and performance technology to improve efficiency in the workplace.
The online Ed.D. in IDPT program prepares professionals to use instructional design and performance technology, particularly in the growing field of online learning and training, to lead and direct the training and performance in a variety of workplaces. It is the only online doctoral program of its type in the region.
Based on competencies from the International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction, Baker developed the curriculum with input from an advisory panel with a wide range of backgrounds, including company presidents and CEOs, instructional design professionals, performance improvement consultants, project managers, multimedia learning specialists, e-learning developers, software engineers, and scholars in the field.
- The online Ed.D. in IDPT program fits the demanding schedules of working professionals.
- Each online course lasts seven weeks.
- The Ed.D. in IDPT is delivered in our popular cohort model.
- Course work is completed in two years.
- The third year is devoted to completing the dissertation.
Uniquely Combining Two Fields
What makes the Baker Ed.D. in IDPT program distinctive is that it unites instructional design and technology (the design, development, utilization, management, and evaluation of learning) with human performance technology (the systematic approach to improving individual and organizational performance).
Most programs concentrate on one or the other. By combining these two fields into an Ed.D. degree, candidates will come away with the knowledge and unique set of skills necessary to lead and direct the future training and performance needs of their organizations in the corporate, military, health care, and government sectors, and in PK-12 education and higher education.
Instructional Design & Performance Technology Student Association
The IDPT Student Association offers a unique opportunity for networking and education beyond the curriculum through guest speakers, forums, and activities. These benefits are available to Baker IDPT students only.
- Create opportunities for leadership development, learning, student engagement, and fostering of shared interests.
- Provide opportunities for the enhancement of academic, professional, and service aspects of student life through participation in group programs and activities.
Membership is automatic and exclusively for students in Baker’s IDPT doctoral and master’s programs.
Visit the website for a calendar of upcoming events.
For more information email IDPTSA@bakerU.edu.
Learn From The Best
All faculty are experienced professionals in instructional design, training, or performance and bring diverse perspectives to each course.
Baker graduate programs are approved for federal financial loan programs. Contact Financial Aid for further information.
The Ed.D. in IDPT program is approved by the Higher Learning Commission (312.263.0456, hlcommission.org).
Requirements & Curriculum
Transfer Graduate Hours
Directed Field Experience
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Do I need specific experience or education to qualify for this program?
2. How long is the program?
3. Do I need to take the GRE?
4. I am a classroom teacher. Am I eligible for this program?
Attend a Virtual Information Meeting
Learn the ins and outs of what it will take to earn a degree from Baker University: program curriculum and structure. financial aid options, and the enrollment process. Do you have questions? This is the place for answers.